Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Hip Hop Forum Bites the Dust

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi Ravs Singh View Post
    We need more trolls to get things going.
    Get me a signed contract from the admins promising that I won't get banned and I will make this the most active forum on the internet.

^LMAO at the self proclaimed James Dean of House music.

My Old School Mixtape - Modern Funk Selections
    "Hit the ground burning and woke up frostbit" - Rakim

Cratedigging Co-Op OP OP Blog

wait a minute I spin House too
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc S View Post
    lmao. half this website could be lazy-o's dad

Rchecka - Have you been living under a rock? The house/electro scene has been making a HUGE surge since 2008. Maybe it is the groups people hang out in, and maybe it's also geographic location, but everything that's being played on the radio has been evolving to a style that's been incorporating elements of modern house music more and more.

I'll agree with you trance is a bit "dead", and by that I mean is is no longer the dominant EDM genre like it was in 2001. But corporate America is trying really hard to cash in on the house, electro house and dubstep. Bud Light had their commercial that featured Avicii's "Levels". Smirnoff features Swedish House Mafia's "Greyhound". Pucker Vodka features Steve Aoki's "Ladi Dadi". The commercial for movie Red Tails and the new Bing commercial feature dubstep songs. M&M's used a LMFAO song. All of these examples by marketing execs is recognition and mirroring of the shift of prominent musical tastes in popular culture. I don't know what radio is like where you're from, but all the "hip hop" stations are either playing more house or at least house/edm inspired songs.

Now if you're the type to not really care about what gets played on mainstream radio (as a lot don't on this forum), that's fine. You're a little bit underground, I understand. But it makes your evaluation of what popular genres are moot. Popular is defined by what the majority of people listen to. In your mind, the EDM scene might be dead, but mainstream society begs to differ.
    Formerly known as SpikesMW (San Diego House Mafia avatar)

Quote Originally Posted by Molbster View Post
    I'll agree with you trance is a bit "dead", and by that I mean is is no longer the dominant EDM genre like it was in 2001. But corporate America is trying really hard to cash in on the house, electro house and dubstep. Bud Light had their commercial that featured Avicii's "Levels". Smirnoff features Swedish House Mafia's "Greyhound". Pucker Vodka features Steve Aoki's "Ladi Dadi". The commercial for movie Red Tails and the new Bing commercial feature dubstep songs. M&M's used a LMFAO song.
    They can have it
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc S View Post
    lmao. half this website could be lazy-o's dad

Rchecka - Have you been living under a rock? The house/electro scene has been making a HUGE surge since 2008. Maybe it is the groups people hang out in, and maybe it's also geographic location, but everything that's being played on the radio has been evolving to a style that's been incorporating elements of modern house music more and more.

I'll agree with you trance is a bit "dead", and by that I mean is is no longer the dominant EDM genre like it was in 2001. But corporate America is trying really hard to cash in on the house, electro house and dubstep. Bud Light had their commercial that featured Avicii's "Levels". Smirnoff features Swedish House Mafia's "Greyhound". Pucker Vodka features Steve Aoki's "Ladi Dadi". The commercial for movie Red Tails and the new Bing commercial feature dubstep songs. M&M's used a LMFAO song. All of these examples by marketing execs is recognition and mirroring of the shift of prominent musical tastes in popular culture. I don't know what radio is like where you're from, but all the "hip hop" stations are either playing more house or at least house/edm inspired songs.

Now if you're the type to not really care about what gets played on mainstream radio (as a lot don't on this forum), that's fine. You're a little bit underground, I understand. But it makes your evaluation of what popular genres are moot. Popular is defined by what the majority of people listen to. In your mind, the EDM scene might be dead, but mainstream society begs to differ.
    I never said anything about dubstep or electro. I'm talking specifically about house (and it's multiple variations) and trance (dito). You agree with me that trance is dead, but not house? I have been practically begging for audio\video proof to be posted here in the spirit of debate. Why don't you take a minute and post some new video or audio Youtube links of new house that will disprove me? We live in good times, because this should be easy to do if there's such a groundbreaking huge house scene that I've been sleeping on. I'll admit I'm wrong if it's groundbreakingly cool. I'm not an oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomcie View Post
    They can have it
    Exactly. I mean if TV commercials can't make you fall in love with Dubstep on a Roomba commercial then you gotta be living under a rock. Dubstep started falling off as soon as Justin Bieber embraced it, and then worlds collided when Bieber embraced Hip Hop, Lord help us all. Forget I said that, it's another bad tangent.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomcie View Post
    They can have it
    Don't mistake me for using the word "popular" as a synonym for "good"

Quote Originally Posted by rchecka View Post
    I never said anything about dubstep or electro. I'm talking specifically about house (and it's multiple variations) and trance (dito). You agree with me that trance is dead, but not house? I have been practically begging for audio\video proof to be posted here in the spirit of debate. Why don't you take a minute and post some new video or audio Youtube links of new house that will disprove me? We live in good times, because this should be easy to do if there's such a groundbreaking huge house scene that I've been sleeping on. I'll admit I'm wrong if it's groundbreakingly cool. I'm not an oak.
    I can sit here and throw links up all day. Does that mean you'll like any of them? Maybe, maybe not. But then again, that's precisely my point. From all of your past posts, I gathered you meant a scene was "dead" because no on listened to it or no one bought albums/songs of that genre. I was trying to show you that house is now as commercially viable as it has ever been. It may not be the best the genre has to offer, but it's a step in the right direction.

What I should have done from the beginning is realize that you meant a genre is "dead" because people making the music aren't doing so in a manner to your liking. I think you're looking for some sort of evolution of the genre like how jazz was a offshoot of blues or how spoken word poetry over music evolved into hip hop. In that sense, no the genre hasn't evolved much, but it doesn't mean it's "dead". So, sorry if the EDM utopia you had envision hasn't panned out yet, at least you still have hip hop to fall back onto. But then again, we don't really know how much time HH has left either since one of it's biggest forums (taking your word for it since i'm clueless on that aspect) just got shut down. That was the original point of this thread right...?
    Formerly known as SpikesMW (San Diego House Mafia avatar)

I can sit here and throw links up all day. Does that mean you'll like any of them? Maybe, maybe not. But then again, that's precisely my point. From all of your past posts, I gathered you meant a scene was "dead" because no on listened to it or no one bought albums/songs of that genre.
    I'm not so stubborn that I wouldn't admit to liking something. I'm asking, try me.

I meant "Dead" as in there is no room for creative growth. "Dead" as in, there is little new production going on and of what little new house production that is going on, none of it is evolved, it's recycled concepts with no barriers broken through. Dead as in there's no new sub genres or new movements to rave about, and only hardcore house fans even mix house any more, and when they do, they probably revert to house that's classic or 10 years ago since what's being done today is scarce and it's nothing special.

I was trying to show you that house is now as commercially viable as it has ever been. It may not be the best the genre has to offer, but it's a step in the right direction.
    Commercially viable usually means it's dead to the people that knew about it for years. Commercially viable means teens know what it is and tell their parents about it. I don't think it's necessarily a good thing and frankly, I haven't heard one house commercial in forever. Dubstep and IDM maybe, but not house so I think the point you are making is quite a stretch.

I think you're looking for some sort of evolution of the genre like how jazz was a offshoot of blues or how spoken word poetry over music evolved into hip hop. In that sense, no the genre hasn't evolved much, but it doesn't mean it's "dead". So, sorry if the EDM utopia you had envision hasn't panned out yet...
    You got it, I expect evolution. If a music is not evolving it is not growing and anything that doesn't grow is dead. This really isn't a complex issue. No growth = dead. If any artist isn't making anything relevant, or new and just recycling old concepts then that artist is not even dropping anything worth getting excited about.

at least you still have hip hop to fall back onto. But then again, we don't really know how much time HH has left either since one of it's biggest forums (taking your word for it since i'm clueless on that aspect) just got shut down. That was the original point of this thread right...?
    That forum was a small HH forum in comparison to major HH forums, but the event is an indication that many MUSIC forums (in general) are not as hot as they were in the web 1.0 days. It is too small to indicate anything about the world of Hip Hop. People have been saying that Hip Hop is a fad that wont last since the 1980s so for you to propose that in 2012, well over 30 years later, I'd say you don't have a leg to stand on. Even if 2012 isn't Hip Hop's best year ever, there still is relevant players. I have no doubt in the longevity of Hip Hop since it's music that caters to the youth of the streets. As long as people still keep having babies, those babies will grow up to listen to the music that speaks to them. Sigma says this is a shit year for Hip Hop, but Sigma and myself are no spring chickens. Go to a highschool parking lot and you'll hear all kinds of Hip Hop blasting out the speakers. It's crap, cuz it's not "our hip hop" (whatever that means) but those kids would argue otherwise and they are the ones dishing out money for albums. The Hip Hop movement will always be about what's fresh and new, that's the whole point of it, so it will never die EVER. Fresh is INHERENT in Hip Hop, it's the whole point of Hip Hop. And incidentally, subgenres and regionalized Hip Hop sounds keep sprouting off from Hip Hop every month, for better or for worse, it's very alive and well. Bottom line is, anyone who says Hip Hop is dead is (according to hip hop) obsolete and out of touch. Hip Hop isn't trying to please you anymore since you are so old. If it's dead you're old period.
    Last edited by rchecka; 06-20-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Go to a highschool parking lot and you'll hear all kinds of Hip Hop blasting out the speakers.
    Actually, it's mostly dubstep and its related genres these days (and I live in Oakland, one of the epicenters of west-coast hip-hop.) When you do hear hip-hop, it's some dude rapping over a looped sample from an electro house tune, or a looped riff from an old trance tune (castles in the sky, anyone?) or some other collision between hip-hop and dance music.

The fundamental problem with your argument is that it's based in bias. You like hip-hop, so it's new and fresh and evolving and expanding. You don't like EDM, so it's dead and worthless.

Bottom line is, anyone who says Hip Hop is dead is (according to hip hop) obsolete and out of touch.
    And the same thing holds true for every genre of music. EDM is dead to you, which means that you're obsolete and out of touch from the standpoint of EDM. As long as a genre still has fans, it's relevant to someone.
    Click here for mixes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    I once DJ'd to a room of 500 Shoreditch hipsters using only my rigid cock and a empty jar of Marmite

Quote Originally Posted by djpenguin View Post
    Actually, it's mostly dubstep and its related genres these days (and I live in Oakland, one of the epicenters of west-coast hip-hop.) When you do hear hip-hop, it's some dude rapping over a looped sample from an electro house tune, or a looped riff from an old trance tune (castles in the sky, anyone?) or some other collision between hip-hop and dance music.

The fundamental problem with your argument is that it's based in bias. You like hip-hop, so it's new and fresh and evolving and expanding. You don't like EDM, so it's dead and worthless.

And the same thing holds true for every genre of music. EDM is dead to you, which means that you're obsolete and out of touch from the standpoint of EDM. As long as a genre still has fans, it's relevant to someone.
    Someone please explain to me when EDM became the exact same thing as house music.

Do not misquote me, I love certain dance music, I love techno, for example, I like minimal techno and some of that shit is EDM or IDM if you wanna go down that road.

I say to you I am not even remotely biased I love all genres, even old ass country music. I also like to listen to occasionally certain classic house. Old ass country is dead. House is dead. Yes, I will always love Hip Hop the most, always have, always will, because it's culture is the most interesting and rich and diverse of all genres, but that doesn't mean I'm biased by saying house is dead.

You say you hear dubstep comin out the High School kid's speakers in your area, do you hear house coming out their speakers?
    Hip Hop is alive and well with kids because it's trying to relate to urban youth.
    Last edited by rchecka; 06-20-2012 at 04:34 PM.