Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA Business License

PA Business License

Okay... I know you guys are going to kill me for this one (I think).

Over the last few years I've done a few jobs (mostly family jobs) and other laid back events. I never got a business license, since I never actually advertised or done much outside of the family game. I haven't had many jobs and when I ask people about getting a business license they say that I don't work enough to worry about it. They say I'd be spending more to keep a business than I'd really be getting out of it.

Also, I understand that you don't have to claim taxes on money up to a certain amount (I think) and people have told me to look into this. I went straight to the district justice about this and he had no idea what I was talking about, go figure.

Now, I've almost upgraded everything and I'm looking to get into the game seriously. I'm NOT trying to work full time, but two weekends/month would be pretty nice for me.

I have no idea where to start. I've check the PA Dept of Labor website and came up with nothing. I don't know what to do to get a license/tax info/ insurance. Does anyone know how much a license is in PA?

Any info you guys have about any of these topics would be extremely helpful.

I know I've been doing it wrong. TBH, until DJF people told me that DJing could be considered a hobby as a way to get around having a license. People around my area don't know much about doing things the right way. They're old fashioned and are just out to get money. Everything's sloppy, and I want to improve peoples' perspective of the entertainment industry around here.

I want to get everything I need to do this right and legally. I apologize in advance to any of you who may have been shaking their heads or yelling at their computer screens while reading this. I KNOW I've been doing it wrong. I'm trying to do it right, now that I have the education I need about what is ACTUALLY needed to run a business.

It seems everyone in my area thinks they're a DJ. How many have licences? Couldn't tell you... but not many.

I don't want to be one of those guys. Thanks in advance to all of you. Please take it easy on me.

And... just FYI... you have to pay taxes on ALL income... even a penny.

Kudo's for trying to do the right thing by getting everything in order. Good Luck.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Thanks Dixieland. I thought that asking about this on here would be helpful, but there's also those few who attack guys who don't really know any better. Thanks for being supportive.

I am legitimate business in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

First off, in our state there is no such thing as a business license at the state government level. You do however need to check with the local municipality where you are going to run your business from, they may require a license to operate.

Then you need to decide what type of business you want to open at the state level. Do you want to be a S Corp, LLC, Sole Proprietor, etc, then you need to come up with a name. My advise it to become an LLC or S Corp, as this shields you from personal asset liability and registers your legal business name that no one else in the state can use. To do an LLC or S Corp your best bet is to see a lawyer as you have to file your articles of incorporation, etc. The cost is around $500 but worth it. Make sure you keep copies of all papers as you will need them to open a business banking account.

Your then gonna need to register for a State Sales Tax license, and then register with the federal government and obtain an EIN.

Here is the link to the PA Corp website. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...orations/12457

Oh yeah and any money you make is taxable, but at the same time any expense is a write off as long as you have documentation.
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.

Does that mean $500/yr? Or just one time? Also, how much is the sales tax license? I'm just trying to figure out how much I should have ready when I go to do all of this so I don't waste anybody's time. Thanks for the info, also.

Its a one time fee, once your incorporated, you are forever unless you file legal paperwork to desolve it. Sales Tax license and Federal Ein cost nothing but do you require good book keeping.
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.

Incorporation fee is one time.

I would recommend S corp over LLC if possible. There's a few more hoops to jump through tho.

Also look into DJ insurance. About $175-$200 for liability a year.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-NVY View Post
    Incorporation fee is one time.

I would recommend S corp over LLC if possible. There's a few more hoops to jump through tho.

Also look into DJ insurance. About $175-$200 for liability a year.
    I did a little research on the two. I found that LLC might be better? But I don't really know and I've never done it before so I'll take any advice I can get.
    Would you mind explaining why the S corp would be better?

So in the end, all I have to do is pay the $500 upfront to start the business and that's it? (besides insurance and taxes?)
    There's no tax license or anything that I have to pay for?

I will be the only one working under the business name, if that means helps.

S corp's tax filing is a bit different than a LLC. IIRC it allows you to write more things off as expenses and gives you more flexibility with the IRS.

Google it I used to know exactly why a few years ago. I used to have an LLC and switched to S corp 4 years ago. My company also does more than just DJing though, so idk if the S corp vs LLC really makes that big of a difference for just DJing alone