• Adobe Audition

2 1.71%
  • Reason

15 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: What DAW do you use?

Banned
    Thanks man. Do you think it would be overkill for my needs? I mainly use a DAW for making multitracked mixtapes, so all I really need is the ability to record to multiple tracks, edit audio blocks, add a few effects and what have you. Adobe Audition 1.5 still works fine for what I do, but I was wondering if there was anything newer that might be better. I've tried Audacity and I don't think that's better than the old version of Audition I'm using, and I also tried Reaper but it just didn't click with me. I have a feeling that Studio One might be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in this case, but let me know your thoughts.

It definitely could. They have a completely free version on their website, however you lose out on groups, grooves, transient detection and a bunch of effects. However the artist version might be enough, its limited in that it wont let you use any external VST's, but it has unlimited audio tracks, you only really miss out on their mastering effects. So if you dont care about synths or midi tracks definitely give the artist version a look. Like I said though I havent done a whole lot of audio editing in it so you should give it a shot in the demo/free version (comparison chart: http://studioone.presonus.com/what-are-the-versions/ )

Id have to ask presonus, in my account I have an artist copy, and a pro copy. I know I also had producer at one point which I upgraded to pro so I might be able to sell my artist serial if you'd want it. Give the free version a shot first to get a feel for it and see if you like it, http://studioone.presonus.com/free/ . You can also tell it to go into pro demo mode for 30 days to see if your missing anything you'd want.

I get a feeling the majority of people using it really are more in the live music type of business, doing multiple takes and putting together mixes. Compared to ableton where you get the majority of people using synths and chopping up loops, not so much recording and mixing.
    Last edited by ezelkow1; 05-05-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Banned
    Thanks for the info man. I gave the demo a try and I think I'm gonna stick to Audition.

Damn! I'm surprised Ableton is so high up there (that's the one I use)
    2009 DJF Trance Champion
    Designer of the Midi Fighter 3D

Live and PT

Ableton is non linear. That's what makes it so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Panda View Post
    It's funny because I only use it linearly lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Has anyone used PreSonus Studio One? It was created by programmers that worked on Cubase and Nuendo.

http://studioone.presonus.com/

If you've used it, post your thoughts.
    My main DAWs are Studio One 2.5 and Reason 7. I use one or the other depending on my mood. Overall, I love Studio One. It is easy to use, very stable and includes some nice effects. Studio One is not as feature rich as some DAWs, but its more than suitable for my needs.

DAWs are such a personal thing, however. Therefore, I would recommend downloading the 30 day unrestricted demo or Studio One Free to verify whether or not it is suited for you.

I got a Roland 505 Groovebox back in 1999 and a few years upgraded to a 909 Groovebox. Hard to believe but that's still what I use when I feel like recording a track. I really ought to try out some software at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Panda View Post
    what do you mean by non linear?