8 6.84%
  • Adobe Audition

2 1.71%
  • Reason

15 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: What DAW do you use?

after 4 years of ableton, 4 years of logic an 3 years of FL 20 ive got to say i now prefer fl studio, (although it rather similar to logic) its so easy to move notes around, the only features it could do better on are zooming and automation... and the factory plugins it comes with arent the best, but you can always add those...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Like View Post
    what do you mean by non linear?
    I think non-linear in this context means it can launch clips/scenes.

like for use with launchpad etc?

like for use with launchpad etc?
    Yes or Akai APC.. that's what people mainly use Ableton for (it's a feature not all sequencers have, making it more of a performance tool)

I've used it in theatre too for triggering real time sound effects etc. Some dislike it (like me when I was starting out, for instance, I was more into Cubase) when it comes to tracking but it's decent and has extensive MIDI support.. the audio editing is kind of cheesy imo, and it's not quite up to par with the "real" software sequencers like Logic or Cubase (I think it could have something to do with the mixer&channel view/routing)

But it's quick to use.. I could easily sketch a song in a few minutes even without templates (it has a very simple GUI, sample/plugin browser and no menu diving)

Then again it uses quite a lot of RAM when used for DJ-type of sets as you'd load songs in clips, warp and chop them, apply FX etc.. and then upon collect all&save, reopen the project and it takes ages to load all the samples.

They take HD space too, I kept a few different set project files wherein I'd pick songs beforehand, usually I'd run 4 channels as decks A/B/C/D and a couple of sample/loop/FX decks, the loop channel I used for a saxophone that was miked running into looper plugin (which could be bypassed) and I'd just record, drag&drop the loop into the clip view for later use or play live.. then I'd set up a MIDI ch to assign notes to a synthesizer (I'd call them command channels as they did exactly that, I'd also run MIDI clock/start/stop messages to a drum machine)

Very handy indeed (plus the ability to create your own FX racks etc) but at the end of the day boring af.. you could basically pre-produce/record an entire show and press play.

EDIT : I heard the pros use Reaktor for live stuff though.. I too got into it a few years ago. Regarding the Ableton Live DJ thing Traktor remix sets are much more intuitive and user/audience friendly in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Regarding the Ableton Live DJ thing Traktor remix sets are much more intuitive and user/audience friendly in my opinion.
    I spent 12 years beatmatching so an ipod can take over lol

i did buy a traktor thing though so i could mix tunes in hospital... although with pissy little pitch controls they arent much chop, i just get drunk and press sync haha
    Last edited by Manu; 08-25-2020 at 02:25 AM.

I spent 12 years beatmatching so an ipod can take over lol
    I feel your pain. It used to be easy to differentiate yourself from other DJs based on mixing skills and, like you, I used to pride myself on that. All that is out the window, just except and embrace the sync. :/

Oh, and I refuse to only mix with 2 decks for that reason. If I going to free up my mix time with sync, lets keep making live mashups.

FL Studio 20 Producer Edition

Maschine MK3 combined with Acid Pro.
    (((DJF member since 06')))

Quote Originally Posted by Crushgroove View Post
    Maschine MK3 combined with Acid Pro.

Acid Pro user, hells yes! That's what I started on back when I was learning to make edits. Such a great program and still to this day, I feel its beatmapping tool was the best I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    Acid Pro user, hells yes! That's what I started on back when I was learning to make edits. Such a great program and still to this day, I feel its beatmapping tool was the best I've ever used.
    Yup! The beatmapper helps me fine tune samples. I'll use Maschine MK3 with JAM for groove building, Arturia Microfreak & Akai Advance 49 (to control my VST library) then bounce it all over to Acid for Mixing, arranging, and all that jazz.
    (((DJF member since 06')))