Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting mah gear

Connecting mah gear

Hi - I have a gear related question. I have two MK2s running through a Vestax pmc05 mixer into a PA via RCA cables.
    The PA sounds a bit harsh and I would like to run it through my home theater Blue Ray player. The only available input is an RCA AUX R/L, but that
    does not seem to work. Do I need a receiver with Phono input, even when the signal is being boosted through the mixer??

Thanks

Banned
    Phono is for connecting a turntable directly. If you connect a mixer to a phono input, it will usually sound quieter than normal and overly bassy (like crap basically). That's a pretty common mistake to make.

Pretty much any other input should work - AUX, line in, even the tape or CD inputs if an amp has them.

I thought from the mixer to AUX would work, but was surprised to find the volume very low. I tried looking in the LG Blue Ray settings for an adjustment but no luck.

Thanks for the reply.

Can someone recommend a receiver for around $200USD?

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenAgenda View Post
    I thought from the mixer to AUX would work, but was surprised to find the volume very low. I tried looking in the LG Blue Ray settings for an adjustment but no luck.

Thanks for the reply.
    What's the master knob set at on your mixer? Does your mixer have phono/line switchable inputs? If so make sure those are set to phono.

You definitely do not want a receiver for DJing. The slight delay they produce makes it impossible to mix. A regular stereo amp will do.

Aren't a receiver and an amp basically the same thing in home hi-fi terms, or am I misinformed?

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    Aren't a receiver and an amp basically the same thing in home hi-fi terms, or am I misinformed?
    Basically, but lots of receivers have digital processing going on for things like surround sound that can cause delays in the output. If you can turn all that off it shouldn't make much difference.
    Last edited by J5k; 09-03-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Phone

Yea you want an AUX type input.. not (ever) PHONO. It should work. But yea you need to make sure all your settings are right so that you are getting level out of your mixer and selecting the right input on your receiver. Some DJ mixers have a separate level knob for the RCA outputs, so check that.

And what everyone said about home theatre receivers causing delay that will fuck up your mixing are 100% correct. Sometimes like J5K said, if you turn off all the surround and ambience modes and go into straight "Stereo" mode, it will be fine.. sometimes not. But it doesn't hurt to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    You definitely do not want a receiver for DJing. The slight delay they produce makes it impossible to mix. A regular stereo amp will do.
    mix thru the headfones brah