Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I learn to beatmatch?

Quote Originally Posted by Rothgery View Post
    Atomisk you have been around the forums for quite some time, since 1.0 with all the thousands and thousands of autosynch/beatmatch debate and dead horses beat why would you make a thread like this, unless your just trying to stir the pot....

If you get all these consistent gigs, you should be able to answer your friend pretty easily without making a thread thats bound to be brought up a million times in the future. Save some server space.
    All those posts from 1.0 are gone. Maybe, just maybe, Atom has been telling his buddy this stuff, and he wants to show this cat that he is not just making this shit up. Know what I mean?

Then again, it is Atom, so who can tell?

Everybody is going to have an opinion.
    Just do your thing to the best of your ability and have fun with it.

[SIGPIC]http://www.ustream.tv/channel/faderwave-radio[/SIGPIC]

Also, you look super lame if you're on a big technofest setup, geared towards CDJs and stuff, so that you can interacted more directly with the crowd, only to like, have a stupid screen in your way. And to hook that up. When last played the sound guy had to hook and unhook up a traktor rig to the DJM800. When he unhooked them he replaced channels 1 and 4 with CDJ 2000s.

THERE WERE FOUR CDJ-2000s. WHY WOULD YOU EVER NEED TO PLAY ON ANYTHING ELSE?

That's like asking if it's ok to bypass talking and go straight to the singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hausgeist View Post
    All those posts from 1.0 are gone. Maybe, just maybe, Atom has been telling his buddy this stuff, and he wants to show this cat that he is not just making this shit up. Know what I mean?

Then again, it is Atom, so who can tell?

i think i know what your REALLY saying :p
    Need a new Global Trance avatar, takers? :p

http://soundcloud.com/frequentflyermiles

Quote Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
    THERE WERE FOUR CDJ-2000s. WHY WOULD YOU EVER NEED TO PLAY ON ANYTHING ELSE?
    that made my morning, as long as those CDJS are all linked together that' is a damn prime setup man.

i would also add that showing up with only bangers can be stupid as well. you never know when things are gonna turn another way and you might need to open or close or play to just a few people. one of the worst feelings i had was only having bangers and not enough people.

Quote Originally Posted by moyo wilde View Post
    i would also add that showing up with only bangers can be stupid as well. you never know when things are gonna turn another way and you might need to open or close or play to just a few people. one of the worst feelings i had was only having bangers and not enough people.
    you should see the folders i bring to each show... BUT on that case, if your a multi thousand dollar paid headliner, i REALLY wouldn't worry about this thing
    Need a new Global Trance avatar, takers? :p

http://soundcloud.com/frequentflyermiles

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie65m View Post
    The Ear is more accurate then a computer, cdj etc....
    That's actually completely wrong. Ableton and Traktor can both be more accurate than a human ever could. That line clearly comes from someone who has never done it (or never done it right).

So, why should you learn it? Because it teaches you to listen to tracks differently. It gives you the opportunity to learn all the skills necessary to play a good DJ set that most people never talk about. And it gives you something to do for those first few weeks/months while you're figuring out how to stop trainwrecking so you don't immediately jump into hot cues, loops, IG effects, and all the other crap that all the controllerists swear is the future and only ends up sounding like noise.

Manual beatmatching is not necessary for a DJ performance to still be DJing in my eyes, but learning to do it is–IMHO–essential to learn how to not suck because of all the ancillary lessons it facilitates and that things like Traktor hide.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    That's actually completely wrong. Ableton and Traktor can both be more accurate than a human ever could. That line clearly comes from someone who has never done it (or never done it right).
    I agree that its not as accurate. But I think the ear (once you know what youre doing) is more reliable. My CDJs (even with the latest firmware) often show a track to have the same BPM as the last track I loaded. Even when I know its wrong. and you'd wanna be sure you have your beats 'gridded' right.

IMHO, the less software between me and the speakers, the safer I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by de.j.l View Post
    that made my morning, as long as those CDJS are all linked together that' is a damn prime setup man.
    Indeed. Sounds like a badass set up!