First Annual Producer Battle: RULES AND ROLL CALL! ;D
Ladies, gentlemen, and Daft Punk robot producers. After aggregating the very different opinions, I present a fair option that puts us all in the same format while allowing maximum flexibility of style.
The competition starts Saturday, May 26. It Ends Saturday's midnight (aka Sunday) on your local time, on June 16.
- This Saturday we will get the acappella. It might be short, might be long, but it must be recognizably present in the track even if it's barely used.
- **Any genre**, but must fit a pop format. With some customization, that's intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-specialmoment-doublechorus-outtro. About 3:20 long. Pop formats have 16 bar phrases, though as dance music uses 32 bar phrases, you obviously have flexibility to give it a 32 bar feel. Additionally, there are dance tracks that use pop formats (daft punk did almost exclusively in Homework) whose verses and choruses alternative buildup-breakdown so that it feels dancey. So again, Pop format, but within that structure, you have total flexibility.
- The ranking will be done in brackets, according to a 3 part score, 1 to 5 with 1 being suck and 5 being pro.
- Quality of production, mixdown, mastering.
- Adherence to rules/format.
- Vibe, creativity, just how much you like the track, freeform vote.
- Also you will cast a holistic vote on the forum voting software which serves as a tie breaker.Submissions will go through the battle forum--I'll make that part easy for yah.
- One entry per person
edit: Not pop genre! just structure! any BPM/style/sound!
edit two: one entry per player
edit three: all site members are allowed and encouraged to rank the battle mixes--except your own battle
here is accapella it has no words. Accapella must be recognizable, but can be chopped up, sampled, effected, and as short as you want. But again, it must be recognizable or people will give you a low/zero score on following rules
http://soundcloud.com/huckthig/flipflapjack-v2-2trx Because it's freeform and genre free, you could still pull in your own vocals separate of this.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Last edited by Hygro; 06-14-2012 at 07:52 PM.
I'm down. What's with the pop structure only though?
A) it's in lieu of a single genre requirement, which was popular but not universal
Originally Posted by AbstractQuality
B) it's in lieu of a sample pack, which was popular but not universal
C) it keeps submissions short
D) it makes it difficult to not start over with a new track, since few of us make any pop-format tracks to begin with.
E) tying into A and B, it keeps us all kind of on the same page, even with big and awesome creative differences. That's what the genre or sample pack was for.
Im game.. When you say pop format tho, I assume your just talking about the structure, and not a specific BPM range or genre?
Exactly. No pop genre requirements or bullshit like that. Any BPM. You can make gabbercore-meets-ambient-orchestral at 220 BPM. Just keep the structure
Originally Posted by Socks
nice work on the rules.
Im in,but I have finals currently