Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: turntables or cdjs?

This is my opinion, The songs that are hot and the tracks people are dancing too are not being pressed on vinyl so i was leaning towards cdjs but here come my friends that use the technics saying techs are a better feel. Im at a crossroad

It's like CDJ's is the like the new way to DJ, and I won't complain but you can burn loads of CD's with any track in any order. But I lean towards Technics I love the classic and original feel. Makes me feel as I'm starting from the beginning. Alot of legendary DJ'sstartes with just turntables. I'm not saying I hate CDJ's I actually wanna get a pair in the near future so I have both but when I use turntables just feels more original.

You know, I'm relatively new to mixing. Still in the bedroom and house parties. I own 1200's and Serato, and I was really on the fence about CDJ's.

And I still am. Potentially thinking of selling them for CDJ's, because honestly... it's a fuck of a lot easier to set up eventually in the clubs, and places have had some "open" EDM nights around here that have been CDJ (no laptop) only that would have been great to jump in on.

If you are okay with having a laptop in your setup, or want to play straight vinyl, go with Turntables. There really is something about the visceral feel of it that can't be matched by anything else. I absolutely love it.

But for ease, especially with the newer CDJ's taking USB sticks, CDJ's are the way to go imo.

I can't justify the price of CDJ's right now, but if I could, I would get them in a heartbeat and probably ditch Serato as well. But settling for a half-assed CDJ wouldn't cut it for me either. And 1200's are still cheaper than the good CDJ's.

So it's a highly charged thing. Personally I think you'll grow faster with just CDJ's and having to manually beatmatch them (or use rekordbox whatever) than relying on a laptop, but that's just me and what I've seen in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    You know, I'm relatively new to mixing. Still in the bedroom and house parties. I own 1200's and Serato, and I was really on the fence about CDJ's.

And I still am. Potentially thinking of selling them for CDJ's, because honestly... it's a fuck of a lot easier to set up eventually in the clubs, and places have had some "open" EDM nights around here that have been CDJ (no laptop) only that would have been great to jump in on.

If you are okay with having a laptop in your setup, or want to play straight vinyl, go with Turntables. There really is something about the visceral feel of it that can't be matched by anything else. I absolutely love it.

But for ease, especially with the newer CDJ's taking USB sticks, CDJ's are the way to go imo.

I can't justify the price of CDJ's right now, but if I could, I would get them in a heartbeat and probably ditch Serato as well. But settling for a half-assed CDJ wouldn't cut it for me either. And 1200's are still cheaper than the good CDJ's.

So it's a highly charged thing. Personally I think you'll grow faster with just CDJ's and having to manually beatmatch them (or use rekordbox whatever) than relying on a laptop, but that's just me and what I've seen in my area.
    There are alternatives to CDJs
    Untz untz untz.

If you're a turntable head, I think you just know. I could never use anything else. Convenience is of no consequence to me.

i like cdj - its easy and convenient. The cdj 2000 is awesome and all you need is a usb drive and you are set to go.

dont worry what other people think, just do as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    dont worry what other people think, just do as you want.

Click here for mobile viewing.
    Everybody is going to have an opinion.
    Just do your thing to the best of your ability and have fun with it.

[SIGPIC]http://www.ustream.tv/channel/faderwave-radio[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
    the digital only tunes that I REALLY REALLY want I have cut to dubs, too.
    I'm clueless about vinyl. What's that mean? Can you create your own vinyl from electronic formats? If so, why would that be better than DVS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

I'm assuming he goes to a record pressing plant and his dubplates engineered and cut there, unless he has his own cutting equipment.

is that still posible? isnt that extremely expensive?