Thread: Youtube Mixes - what do you put in the video?

Youtube Mixes - what do you put in the video?

I'm sure a decent amount of us upload our mixes to youtube especially if you have no time limit. I'm debating whether Should I have the video of myself making the mix or simply have my logo at the start and images relevant to the mix. I personally find it more entertaining to watch the DJ mixing but I'm not sure about your average person. Basically I am trying to keep people watching my videos for longer. So what do you guys do?
    twitter - @DJRiddim_
    facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DJRiddims?ref=hl
    youtube.com/vibes4321

In all honesty if you are putting clips on YouTube then this has to show you visually mixing as its a video site. If its just the music you want people to listen to then share that with just the music sites like the ones everyone uses. YouTube can show people your technique in mixing , the equipment u use and also how into the mix you get! I find ten to fifteen minute mixes seem to get a lot of hits.
    Watched loads of clips on my nightshirts at work. Just have a scan of the different filming angles u can have.
    Good descriptions and also full song listings is a must. And don't get pi55ed with trolls that will b everywhere lol

I upload to youtube as well, but haven't gotten around to setting up an area to record myself mixing yet. I just put up a picture that kinda has the same feel to the music I like. But I do like when djs put themselves up so if they do something that is cool, I can see how they do it. I'd vote for recording yourself, just you record your mix separate and not with the camera mic.

If you can film yourself mixing it up and the viewer can clearly see everything you are doing from a stable camera then do that and watch the hits come rolling in. Otherwise a slideshow of well timed images works well. Spend time on your title, description and tags (all can be edited after uploading) as these are the main way of getting your video clicked on because youtube is searched in the same way as google. Using your videos as video responses to other videos is a free way of creating instant traffic. In the text bar on the video you want to reply to click on 'video response' in the bottom right of the text box. You can then choose one of your own videos as a reply and it will be shown on their page above the comments section.

Also what do you guys use to film your mixes? I wanted to make a mix video but the only camera I have is my iphone camera or my laptop camera (both pretty shitty) and I also would like to edit the video (switch angles, etc)
    Confidence, and hard work is the key to success in anything. Lost track of battle record
    http://www.soundcloud.com/djarmanicee

Here's my last upload to Youtube. It basically shows only what I'm doing on the decks. I don't even show my face.

I stuffed it up and uploaded it in awful quality but I filmed it with my iPhone 5 camera and it was perfect and focused in the original video (not the one on youtube). It just wasn't practical for me to upload in HD with my internet connection here.

My mixer records to USB which helps but you can just record however you normally record a mix and sync A/V in Windows Movie Maker or any other video software. It's all very simple.

I added annotations to show what song is playing.

I don't think people care about seeing anything else. I just filmed it because a friend wanted to see me mix some tracks. Try to have better lighting than I did. But even that is sufficient when watching the HD version of mine. Some won't even care about watching the mixing and will just minimize it but hopefully it will help someone or interest them in some way.
    Last edited by Blue Shoes; 04-08-2013 at 01:50 AM.
    I'm too cool to have some kind of elitist quote in my signature.

I filmed a few on iPhone 4 camera and with good light, and focus set it comes out pretty clear.
    Last edited by Blue Shoes; 04-02-2013 at 03:50 AM.
    I'm too cool to have some kind of elitist quote in my signature.

My videos are usually from events. To prevent others from stealing my clips, I watermarked my crew logo on the left and have a subscribe to my text on the right.

Check out my Official Website at www.priyonjoni.com
    Voted 2014 Best DJ in Des Moines, Iowa in CityView Magazine's Best of Des Moines

I think its fun, but it takes a while, and learning about how to get quality presentation can separate you from the rest (I obviously need a ton of work on this area) . I record the audio in a tracking program and match it up in a video editor, sometimes at the end of the video the sync is pretty off after I upload it. I made this one a few years back, nothing too crazy or exciting - some level issues in there lol oops

Like the other videos posted I think its great to show what the dj is doing. You can also post original productions with some of your logos and stuff, as a way to promote and get your name out there. It can be a useful tool in that regard.

I would watch other videos of djs that you like and maybe brainstorm a unique idea or twist on the whole video approach; having themes, contests - stuff like that to generate buzz and interact with your viewers
    Last edited by djTRiST; 04-06-2013 at 01:28 AM.