Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acapella Mixing

Acapella Mixing

Hey Guys and Dolls!

Acapella mixing, is it tough to do? any tips?

What acapellas work best with what tunes?

k

no it's not.

get ahold of some and try it out yourself. no point in people spoonfeeding specific tracks to mix together, that spoils the whole experience.
    PROFESSIONAL UNEMPLOYED DJ
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATREON

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Bike View Post
    no it's not.

get ahold of some and try it out yourself. no point in people spoonfeeding specific tracks to mix together, that spoils the whole experience.

Totally agree! It comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Bike View Post
    no it's not.

This.

Dont be scared to experiment and try things out for yourself.

Banned
    Acapella mixing is pretty much as easy as mixing a track with a beat once you get used to it. In fact, it can be more forgiving, because if an acapella drifts slightly you don't get that offset of the percussive elements that you get when both tracks have drums and start to drift out of line.

It's all about having a kind of "internal metronome". If you play a track with a beat, you can count "1, 2, 3, 4" etc. in time with the beat. Take the beat away though and you can still do that, so you can still beatmatch the acapella to the other track/beat you're playing.

The other thing to consider is the timing and how the lyrics will map to the song/beat you're playing. When you mix two tracks with beats, you usually focus on the "1" - the first kick in a bar. Not always, but either way, it's usually always very easy to get the 2 tracks lined up so that they're not out of step. When you have just some singing, the singer may not start to sing on the 1 - they may come in a bit earlier or a bit later. I usually just kind of "sing" the acapella in my head over the beat that's playing so I can tell how the 2 will line up, then it's usually easy from there.

Try it out. Just make sure the levels are about the same.
    2 Technics M5G | 2 Technics MK2 | Shure M44-7 | 2 Rane TTM-57 | Pioneer EFX-500 | 15" MacBook Pro
    On-Air Mixer at KZON Live 101.5 PHX

I gave this a go yesterday, the acapella really didn't work with any of the tunes I used and it really didn't feel like "one track"

Try, try, try again. I love acapellas because you can always scratch with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kickassDJ25 View Post
    What acapellas work best with what tunes?
    use your imagination
    jasoncerna.com | boogieburg | twitter @jasoncerna | instagram @jasoncerna

Well if the acapella and the track are compatible keys that will obviously help a lot. Also if you are using a acapella from an song that has a verse and a chorus, you probably want the verse to be during the build up and the chorus to start with the drop. Also make sure its not too loud that will make it sound like crap. I sometimes turn the treble eq down on the acapella especially if its a girls voice. I find it helps it blend a little better