Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skrillex, Spor, Mau5trap, and David Guetta level ghost writing

I don't think Mau5 does, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by djshire View Post
    I don't think Mau5 does, but I could be wrong.
    I don't think he does either... doesn't change the fact all his stuff sounds the same.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

People have been "co-producing" with big name DJs for years. Tiesto with Cor Fijneman, Chris Liebing and Martin Buttrich, David Guetta and Boer - but ghost writing, meaning to buy a COMPLETE SONG that someone made without your input and then sell it as your own...that has to be an all time low.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkleen View Post
    People have been "co-producing" with big name DJs for years. Tiesto with Cor Fijneman, Chris Liebing and Martin Buttrich, David Guetta and Boer - but ghost writing, meaning to buy a COMPLETE SONG that someone made without your input and then sell it as your own...that has to be an all time low.
    Well, its already happened. Long ago.

hehe, buttrich

I think there's an intermediate stage, which is that unlisted producers and engineers do all the work, but the artist provides creative input. I would guess most of the ghost writing is that. But on some level we're all pretty silly trying to be bedroom heroes. I was watching "Pensado's Place", a webshow hosted by an old, super successful major label mixing engineer. He spends about 14 hours per track after the producer has done everything, before the mastering stage.

If top talen producers are using a few top talent engineers along the way, maybe we should be dividing our labor a little bit to get the best sound. Not sure the best way to go about it though. The culture doesn't really support it in any other way than unlisted because the bedroom hero producer myth is the popular image.

Quote Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
    I think there's an intermediate stage, which is that unlisted producers and engineers do all the work, but the artist provides creative input. I would guess most of the ghost writing is that. But on some level we're all pretty silly trying to be bedroom heroes. I was watching "Pensado's Place", a webshow hosted by an old, super successful major label mixing engineer. He spends about 14 hours per track after the producer has done everything, before the mastering stage.

If top talen producers are using a few top talent engineers along the way, maybe we should be dividing our labor a little bit to get the best sound. Not sure the best way to go about it though. The culture doesn't really support it in any other way than unlisted because the bedroom hero producer myth is the popular image.
    A buddy of mine is a studio engineer... and he gets credit in liner notes on the albums he has worked on.

I believe it. Spor is a beast and some of Skrillex's stuff sounds like what dubstep would be if Spor made it.

Yes I know that Spor is Feed Me.

ghosting isn't new. kanye has ghosts; dr dre has ghosts; guetta has ghosts; tiesto has ghosts; will smith has ghosts; the neptunes were ghosts (teddy riley's); there was debate as to whether lil wayne had ghosts (suspect he did does) as were i suspect slew of now/former famous, producers, writers, performers, etc. the thing that strikes me as strange about skrillex if thiss is true is that he seems to have brought little to the table.

with all the others who have ghosts the ghost/understudy/apprentice they were working with people who could give them connections, pay them handsomely, and teach them something. in the edm world it seems the dj bbrings the name/brand. even milli vanilli brought looks that would bring sales. in skrillex's case what did he bring to the table exactly, if he didn't make his tracks?