Thread: Video streaming/recording

Video streaming/recording

Hi all

I see videos on YouTube of DJs playing their sets. What hardware and software must I have to record in sync with the music from my set? I have a DDJ FLX400 working on a Mac + Rekordbox.

Thanks, everyone.

on a Mac
    Is that Macbook Air, Pro, what year etc.

A regular, even cheap laptop would be able to input a camera via an external video card HDMI running just on the Microsoft windows camera app at 1080p. To run the sound you would need a camera that accepts a live sound line input OR record the sound separately and add later via a video editor. I would not risk to run it all at once on a standalone Mac because of the overall handling of data and RAM load.

The cheap option would be running through a webcam, but the picture quality won't be anywhere as good.

Long read here: https://www.epiphan.com/blog/best-ca...ive-streaming/ - Take into account about some cameras prone to overheating when running continuously, avoid DSLR cameras pretty much.

Hi Manu

Thanks for getting back to me. After long reads online, it needs a special software called "Blackhole". The Blackhole is a virtual output that returns the sound from the DDJ FLX400 back to the computer. Then I need the OBS + a camera. It took me a few days to find the settings, but I could record a video with the sound coming from the controller (not externally captured with a microphone. My camera is Elgato (it doesn't have a mic). My mac is MacbookPro late 2016 model Intel chip.

I am happy to share my settings if anyone is interested.

Cheers, all, and keep mixing.

A bit weird to have to rely on some third party software instead of regular outputs just to get the sound, but if it works

From what I read (I am not an expert), the DDJ FLX4 gets the music FROM the Mac and sends it to the speakers. But for writing TO the Mac it needs to return the sound BACK to the Mac. To do this, it needs this software to loop the sound BACK to the Mac so it can be recorded because DDJ FLX4 does not have this capacity. At least this is how I understand it.