Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on releasing an album

It's been almost two months since I launched my webshop.. my album sold 3 copies, all of which was direct marketing.

I went on to release 3 EP's and a single, none of which have sold a single download despite social media marketing.

Here's some statistics and observations; first of all my main social media marketing niche is DJ's (and producers to some extent of which some are also DJ's) and I post regularly on a FB group of 1,8k producers and about 700 professional DJ's most of which reside in my home country. I also do marketing on Twitter and Instagram, as well as my own FB page. This effort yields about 5-15 SoundCloud plays (I reckon the likes and reposts come from SC directly)

This also shows up as traffic on the website (the site has a link to SC preview, I usually post the website link) In return I see the plays showing up on SC Insights as traffic from my website. Facebook seems to be 'the place' according to stats as it yields the most redirects.

For the record I have about 150 Twitter followers, 450 IG followers and about 100 FB followers. The IG vids get around 120 views. I also post stories.

Should I expand to YouTube? Is this usual in the beginning?

Thank you for your replies and happy holidays,

-ef

EDIT : my pricing is pretty standard; 2,99e for a 2-track EP, 3,99e for a 4-track EP and 1,49e for a single. I think it's up to par with Beatport. I offer standard quality MP3 files with cover art included. The album goes for 7,99e with 5e discount for DJ's etc, the EP's have 1-2e discounts.

It takes a while to get any traction on Youtube, and the thing is, it's a streaming platform, making it hard to sell a bit of music while the audience is listening to it. You might want to make a youtube channel that works in correlation with Bandcamp and Beatport (putting links in description)

Now facebook,... Worst platform ever post anything on a DJ page, and it will get buried under a hundred others the same day.
    SoundCloud ________________________________ MixCloud________________ __________________YouTube
    Dead or alive, you're coming with me

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Now facebook,... Worst platform ever post anything on a DJ page, and it will get buried under a hundred others the same day.
    Yeah it only creates traffic for a couple of days, then all the visitors vanish.

EDIT : I also tried livestreaming to promote my tracks, got 2 viewers and 7 on VOD (video-on-demand).. I posted links to the livestream before going live on FB and IG. My HP EliteBook ran Traktor and YouTube Live without any hiccups.

For live streaming, it seems to be something to do on Twitch.
    SoundCloud ________________________________ MixCloud________________ __________________YouTube
    Dead or alive, you're coming with me

I wouldn't worry too much about the grind when starting up.
    Even the biggest acts have played rooms of a few (or none!) people.
    All you need is one track to catch on.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I'll keep on pushing for now, thanks for the encouraging words!

And happy holidays!