Thread: Most portable and modern wash light options nowadays?

Most portable and modern wash light options nowadays?

im always looking to improve and downsize my setup

i have a few old flat pars, but its a little bulky bringing them around. i practise i NEVER DMX these to eachother, way to many cables and hassle involved.
    i tend to just leave them on one solid color all night

im considering the ape coin as a replacement, much smaller, and also works off remote, but you cant hang them off a truss, its more for leaving them on the ground, which is fine. but id need a few lights that i can hang on truss aswell, mostly so that people dont steal them

what other options do we have now for ultra portable lights but also that works off remote or wireless ,and not having to bother with miles of DMX cable?

What flat pars do you have and what physical size fixture would you like to go to? Keep in mind that it takes a fair bit of LED power to produce a good color wash from above, and the fixture beam angle also affects the result. Small fixture are nice but if they don't produce enough output for the job then you won't use them.

I hate running DMX cables too but I also hate setting static colors on all the fixture so Freestyler DMX on a laptop with wireless fixtures is my go to solution right now. I have 20 Rasha Crux hex flat pars which are pretty compact and can be used for uplighting and overhead wash.

For ease of use look into getting a DMX software package that will run on your DJ laptop in the background, that will sync to the music tracks you play and produce effects without too much work on your part.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    What flat pars do you have and what physical size fixture would you like to go to? Keep in mind that it takes a fair bit of LED power to produce a good color wash from above, and the fixture beam angle also affects the result. Small fixture are nice but if they don't produce enough output for the job then you won't use them.

I hate running DMX cables too but I also hate setting static colors on all the fixture so Freestyler DMX on a laptop with wireless fixtures is my go to solution right now. I have 20 Rasha Crux hex flat pars which are pretty compact and can be used for uplighting and overhead wash.

For ease of use look into getting a DMX software package that will run on your DJ laptop in the background, that will sync to the music tracks you play and produce effects without too much work on your part.
    i have some stairville flat pars from thomann in germany, but im probably gonna get rid of those, they are ok, nothing amazing.

i picked up some ape labs light cans now for my uplighting, so for smaller gigs they might do on their own without any other effects

but i also just picked up some small moving heads (off amazon), so i have created a need for DMX again with these.... so ill explore the software options you recommended.

may i ask what interface do you use to hook up to the laptop?
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 05-17-2023 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    may i ask what interface do you use to hook up to the laptop?
    I have an Enttec DMX open, I had planned to upgrade to the PRO version but have not had any problems with the one I have so there wasn't much incentive to spend more money on it.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

funnily enough in my endeavours to avoid DMX like the plague, i actually ended up getting into DMX LOL

I ended up picking up a couple of cheap moving heads, then quickly realised that i need some kind of DMX control to get them to face the right way, and also to stop them strobing
    so anyways one thing led to another, I cancelled my order for the ape labs ligths (which were taking ages on back order) picked up some Both lighting S4s instead
    and i picked up a Wolfmix (ADJ WMX) and i finally can say i have dmx'd all my lights together, for the first time really...

so happy with this new setup !

I may also experiment with soundswitch later down the line because i like the idea of programming the lighting to specific songs. but for now this enables me to create scenes and play around, very hands on
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-20-2023 at 03:57 AM.