Thread: a scalable sound system ?

a scalable sound system ?

i want to be able to make my sound system bigger or smaller depending on the size of the event

i have 2 x 12 inch tops (yamaha dbr12)
    and 1 x 18 inch sub (LD Icoa)

im thinking of adding 2 evolve 50s to it. so that i can use one evolve 50 on their own, or 2, or in a bigger event use the whole lot together. 2 x evolve 50s , 1 x 18" sub and 2 x 12" tops

does this make sense or is it crazy? is there some ratio or pattern i should follow in order to keep the sound system balanced right?

To be truely scalable all the speakers have to be the same model and they also have to be designed to be deployed in multiples.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Preferably identical, yes, but avoid placing cabs side by side spayed outward. Pairs of tops work best stacked vertical, with the top cab placed upside down, so the HF horns of the two cabs are adjacent. When side by side is the only option they should be cross-fired. Using four 1x12 tops you want two 1x18 subs, clustered and wall loaded.

As for the Evolve 50, and all rigs of that type, mains above subs is the worst possible placement. We engineers call it the Fernando:"I don't care if it sounds good, so long as it looks good".
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum