Thread: Simple mix tips for house and electronic music

Simple mix tips for house and electronic music

Hi,

Have you some tips and simple mix technics to mix 2 house and electronic songs ?

Hi,

I use Serato for about 3 years, i used all versions to now.

When i want to sync 2 songs, the BPM seems to be sync, but not the beats and the phrases.

I try some settings on Serato (simple sync, re analyse tracks with larger or smaller bpm...) but it doesn't work ?

Some tracks i have are not high quality mp3, only 128 kbps bitrates, this is a problem ?

I try also with severy serato hardware (controller, dvs...), the problem is still here.

Have you some tips to synchronise BPM, beats and phrases correctly under Serato ?

Hi,

Do you know advanced settings about automix in Rekordbox ?

Automix could be usedin many situations...

I want to choose the delay to fade out... how to do this ?

Have you some tips about this automix ?

Thank you for yours answers.

Have you some tips & tricks to scratch/mix hiphop rap r&b songs together ?
    Can you detail il you use fx and how ? thank you
    Last edited by Manu; 04-05-2023 at 03:22 AM.

The same techniques are generally used for every music genre. Take a look at the beginners thread in my signature.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Ah the dreaded "what was promised by vendors doesn't work all the time" realization. Check out the beginner's thread in my signature.

Saving you some time, here's the relevant part:

2. Beat-matching. This is where you use the pitch controls on your equipment to get the 2 songs playing at the same BPM. It's vital in mixing music. Some DJ software will do this for you, but if you never learn to do it manually, you can never use gear that doesn't have auto-sync. Think of it like only being able to do basic maths by pulling out a calculator, rather than learning your times tables. Opinions on this differ, but if you can beat-match manually, you can use pretty much any piece of gear. If you can only use auto-sync, you can't.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

While automix in Rekordbox may be useful in some situations, using your ear works in every situation. Learn to beatmatch manually. It will save you from these headaches.
    -KLH

Try to learn to beatmatch by ear. It takes time, but is so worth the effort.

As for effects, you'll generally find that less is better - but in hip-hop, delay/echo may be used and not much else. I've heard some DJs use reverb from time to time if there's a drastic change in BPM. For example, end one song with reverb-wash and then start another as the wash gets low (similar to using delay/echo).
    -KLH

[Threads combined. Thanks Manu! ]

Ibarasc, I gave one of your mixes a listen. From my experienced ears, you are relatively new at DJing from a skills perspective. I highly recommend learning how to identify bars, phrases, and song structure. Once you learn that, then start the journey to learn how to beatmatch by ear as it will be way easier with those other topics learned first.

Your mix sounds like you are literally loading a song, pressing sync, and moving a crossfader without regards to any musicality whatsoever. The great thing is that learning these concepts is fun. Mastering them isn't easy and will take time. It's so worth it though.

Anyone else want to share thoughts on the beginner's journey as words of encouragement?
    -KLH

Hi and thank you for yours precious advices.
    Everyday i learn and everyday i try be a best version of me.
    Let me say this : "nemo perfectus est" (nobody is perfect).
    Keep to be open, there is no only one way or one perfect way to success, you need to find your way.
    The most important is to like what you do, if the others like it, that's ok, otherwise nevermind.

I like you, Ibarasc. You make me laugh.

Good luck with your journey.
    -KLH