Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide which sub cross-over,80 or 120Hz?

If the RCF doesn't filter the pass through outputs you are getting a full range signal to the tops. Having more low frequency sources smooths the in room response. This is why good HT systems almost always employ multiple subs. It's not about volume, it's about uniformity of response throughout the room. But at high volumes where the excursion capability of the tops won't handle the lows the result is high level distortion.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    If the RCF doesn't filter the pass through outputs you are getting a full range signal to the tops. Having more low frequency sources smooths the in room response. This is why good HT systems almost always employ multiple subs. It's not about volume, it's about uniformity of response throughout the room. But at high volumes where the excursion capability of the tops won't handle the lows the result is high level distortion.
    Thanks...so it's OK to run them as is?
    I tried running all three speakers at 120Hz cross-over with DSP (tops) on,then off and I like the way everything is now,sound-wise,DSP OFF,HPF OFF.Thanks,Huck50
    Last edited by Huck50; 02-25-2023 at 09:54 AM.

So long as it sounds good it is good.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

So long as it sounds good it is good.
    Thanks,Huck50

Since I am a 'Why" or "How" kinda guy,could you explain why I like the sound of the way my sub and tops are connected now?....sub x-over set at 120Hz and DSP on tops OFF.Please explain like were talking to a 10 year old.Thanks,Huck50

Read post #11 again.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

Read post #11 again.
    Sorry.not quite sure what you mean here:"If the RCF doesn't filter the pass through outputs you are getting a full range signal to the tops"......so if the MAIN output signal from my pre-amp is going through the sub x-over first and the x-ove ron sub is set at 120Hz,is the sub reproducing everything from 120 Hz on down.?
    At this existing hook-up, when listening at a fairly loud volume,green signal lights on tops and sub were barely lighting up,only occasionally,is that normal for my set-up? Thanks,Huck50
    Last edited by Huck50; 02-26-2023 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    Sorry.not quite sure what you mean here:"If the RCF doesn't filter the pass through outputs you are getting a full range signal to the tops"......so if the MAIN output signal from my pre-amp is going through the sub x-over first and the x-ove ron sub is set at 120Hz,is the sub reproducing everything from 120 Hz on down.?
    yup. and that's how it should work. the sub crossover does it's job and the tops are getting the signal for the high end, the sub is handling the low.
    At this existing hook-up, when listening at a fairly loud volume,green signal lights on tops and sub were barely lighting up,only occasionally,is that normal for my set-up? Thanks,Huck50
    again, yup. as they are working correctly - as in each component is handling the frequencies they are best at handling, you should be getting a nice volume without pushing everything into the red. You don't ever really need to push things to the max. You'll just hurt the speakers, shovelling a ton of high frequencies into the tweeters until they melt.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    yup. and that's how it should work. the sub crossover does it's job and the tops are getting the signal for the high end, the sub is handling the low.

again, yup. as they are working correctly - as in each component is handling the frequencies they are best at handling, you should be getting a nice volume without pushing everything into the red. You don't ever really need to push things to the max. You'll just hurt the speakers, shovelling a ton of high frequencies into the tweeters until they melt.
    Thanks!...Last question,I promise.So,if I changed the sub x-over from 120 Hz to 80Hz,should I be getting more or less bass? Thanks,Huck50
    Last edited by Huck50; 02-26-2023 at 09:02 AM.

not quite sure what you mean here:"If the RCF doesn't filter the pass through outputs you are getting a full range signal to the tops"......
    Read your manual. It will tell you if the pass throughs are high passed filtered or not. I don't have your manual, so I don't know.
    if I changed the sub x-over from 120 Hz to 80Hz,should I be getting more or less bass?
    80 to 120Hz isn't bass, it's midbass. It won't affect below 80Hz. Whether or not you'd prefer it is up to you to decide.
    Bill Fitzmaurice