Thread: What a strange trip its been, but it's not over yet

What a strange trip its been, but it's not over yet

Hello guys,

I'll try to not bore everyone, but feel like I should share some of my background and explain my current situation. Real estate appraiser has been my title for several years, but the industry is at a virtual standstill, so it is time to move forward with other ventures. I have some room to maneuver, however, I cannot not sit idle for months on end.

I have a background as a former owner of multiple restaurant/bars, but I've been out of that line of work about 20 years. I have always worked behind microphones DJ'ing and hosting shows of all types. I've also done my share of acting on stage at local community theaters around the area and was part of a two man acoustic act for about 7 years and after that ended I performed as a solo act on and off. A back injury has changed what I'm capable of doing these days, so there are limits. Sitting on a stool while playing and singing isn't possible any longer because back spasms put me in pain.

A few years ago I bought a new PA, but was so busy with appraising real estate it was never put to work.

• Yamaha MG12XU
    • 2 - QSC K12's
    • 2 - Sennheiser mics
    • Laptop with the software listed below
    • ShowPresenter
    • Mix Meister Pro
    • Virtual DJ
    • 1.2 TB of 2 TB HDD full of music and karaoke songs

Currently, I'm seeking software to host trivia, bingo, etc., but I'm not sure where to go looking and would appreciate hearing the pros and cons of different suppliers if anyone has had any experiences they would be willing to share. I'm aware this post might belong in another category, but I wasn't sure where to place it. I had an account here many years ago, but created a new one and this was where I posted more often.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickAlley View Post
    Mix Meister Pro
    Welcome to the forums.

You'll probably want to try something newer. I used to like Mix Meister Pro a lot, I even have the Numark Mix Meister controller for it.
    But the software was abandoned years ago.
    The main reason I switched to Ableton LIVE & Serato DJ is that Mix Meister was so outdated.

Most modern software has auto-play and auto-beatmatching now.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

welcome to DJF, BrickAlley!

From the equipment you listed, you should be able to jump in and get going with minimal expense.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickAlley View Post
    Currently, I'm seeking software to host trivia, bingo, etc.
    If it's just background music you're doing, then any music player with playlist support might do. If you are going to do active music for a dancefloor, then getting multiple deck DJ software may be more to your liking. Examples of the latter are Traktor, Virtual DJ, Serato DJ, RecordBox, etc.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...