Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do DJs Pre-Set or Format Their Tracks Prior to Mixing?

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Let's just say I have lost count of posers in the DJing world...
    I have to admit I'm somewhat a poser myself. I'm afraid I have to retreat from DJing for now as I am in the tiniest room with no furniture of my own and no car. I'm trying have the attitude that I can do it with less, with nothing, just my MBPro. But to be honest, I want something with a crossfader and dials to learn on. I'd really be stoked to get a used DDJ-SB2, but I just don't have the dang room on a 30x30" round table.

I'm going keep listing out tracks in my head that IMHO would have sick crossover. I just bought a Presonus Atom (8"x8") and 32-key M-audio keyboard (16"x4") so I can put these hands to work. I've gotta make beats! All this listening to Youtube and table tapping has to go somewhere. I have years of experience as a musician, I've even had my own personal studio with a TT patch bay, so I know I can produce music. But I want to focus money I can be honest/practical with and get something done. I don't want to end up like the fat guy with a Soloflex and I'm afraid that's where that's headed until I have a wider desktop.

Hopefully I can put some good rhythms and grooves together and come back soon with questions on hardware integration. Thanks for the pointers though, I imagine any party scene could be filled with posers. I went to a liberal arts college in New Mexico filled with all-nighter ravey do-nothing 'students' that didn't even have to be DJs to pose. They just needed to look like Oakenfold with sunglasses on, pose accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Prior to mixing, (at home not live) I usually prepare a set list of tracks, cue points, end points, Fx, etc. Sometimes doing an edit on a track to fit whatever it is I want to put in there. I also used a couple of times to do a cut or 2 somewhere post editing, and that was for the purpose of being under 75 minutes so I could fit the mix on a CD. As per knowing the material, yes I would know the tracks but still take some cliff notes because it's always useful, a bit like sheet music.
    This pretty much describes what I do as a local club DJ too. Individual track prep is essential: checking the grid, key signature, dropping in and out cues as well as jump cues to hooks, noting in track comments anything that would be helpful when mixing this particular track (cut hi, up low, things like that), and doing edits when a track needs to be seriously trimmed down or when when beat loops need to be added to open sections.

At the local club level, having an agenda (like having your tracks all planned out and pre arranged) doesn't cut it. A successful night depends entirely on going with the flow of the room - wherever that takes you.

Quote Originally Posted by b.ill View Post
    This pretty much describes what I do as a local club DJ too. Individual track prep is essential: checking the grid, key signature, dropping in and out cues as well as jump cues to hooks, noting in track comments anything that would be helpful when mixing this particular track (cut hi, up low, things like that), and doing edits when a track needs to be seriously trimmed down or when when beat loops need to be added to open sections.

At the local club level, having an agenda (like having your tracks all planned out and pre arranged) doesn't cut it. A successful night depends entirely on going with the flow of the room - wherever that takes you.
    That's solid insight. Yeah, I can imagine anything live is its own animal no matter how prepared you are, but I'm willing to bet having these things set helps you roll quickly when the moment calls for it. Trimming makes a lot of sense, so many of these tracks whether downloaded or on videos I'm watching start right from the gate. I'm like...Mine don't! lol

What do you mean by checking the grid?

Thanks a lot for describing the nature of elements a DJ has to prep or get set before a show. That's way cool.