Thread: Thinking about buying some turntables....

Thinking about buying some turntables....

Already have my digital controller set up (Pioneer DDJ1000) which im extremely happy with but for the last year or so i started buying 12" vinyl again.
    You see a had a nice collecton of vinyl records that were my pride and joy, be buying vinyl since i was 17yo. And just like that i lost my entire collection on a flood, and yeap I cry like a little kid!!!!
    So what started as a decoration project has become a quest to buy as much vinyl as possible (Up to almost 3 crates)
    So i want to get a pair of turntables si that I can mix with my vinyls like the good old days, now is it worth getting the new Technics MK7 @ $1000 each or buy a used set pair of MK5 for around $1000. Or get a pair of Pioneer PlX 1000, like the new features this new turntable offers . @ about @ $1400 a pair.
    Which way to go and why? Planing on getting them ASAP!!!!

If it were me I would get a used pair of technics. Im kinda out of the game now. When I was in the market you could get em for 250$-300$ each. I guess there is a point where the used price goes high enough that it makes sense to buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by lburners View Post
    When I was in the market you could get em for 250$-300$ each.
    And gasoline used to be $2 a gallon.
    A used Technics SL-1200MK2 normally runs about $500 - $750.
    A used Technics SL-1200MK7 normally runs about $750 - $950.
    A new Technics SL-1200MK7 normally runs about $1,000
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I hear you. I would imagine there is a lot less people using turntables and more going straight to controllers. What happened with all those old turntables? Did people just keep them for home setups? People are probably sentimental like myself and hold on to them.

Quote Originally Posted by lburners View Post
    I hear you. I would imagine there is a lot less people using turntables and more going straight to controllers. What happened with all those old turntables? Did people just keep them for home setups? People are probably sentimental like myself and hold on to them.
    It's like used GPU's. They were worth a lot in 2020 & 2021 because there was a GPU shortage. Now used GPUs are only about a quarter of what they were a year ago but a lot of people are still selling them at 2021 prices.

For a few years, Technics quit making DJ turntables and some people were paying up to $1,000 for SL-1200MK2.
    So people are hanging on to their old turntables for longer and also selling them for more than they are worth as if it's still 2017.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I see a few 1200 mk3 on reverb for 400$. Pics look good. Still a great return on investment but not ridiculous given the longevity of a well take care of 1200.