Thread: Logical Steps for beatmatching and performing a Harmonic Mix

Logical Steps for beatmatching and performing a Harmonic Mix

Hey,

I wanted to get the experts help in mapping out the logical list of basic steps that a DJ should be performing in order to successfully complete a blended mix from track A to track B when the two tracks are harmonically matched. Becuase I`ve got sloppy and I need to get back to basics.

The idea here is to point out the important steps beginners (like me) should be doing and help those who either don't know these steps exist, or (like me) newer DJ`s who have fallen into sloppy or bad habits over time and need a reminder of what you should be doing (and the sequence you should be doing them in) when blending two tracks together.

I appreciate there is no single "correct" method and different DJ`s will approach this in different ways, however the idea here is to map out the basic best practice to work as a logical starting point for beginners to work from. I`ll keep the detail of each step very high level in the interests of brevity.

To keep things simple, the steps deliberately ignore timing and phrasing and assume the mix is being started in time and on phrase.
    The steps assume you are beatmatching by ear and not using sync or line matching.

Starting point is that Track A is playing live, you`ve already selected the next track to play and it's loaded on the other deck at an appropriate cue point ready to go::

Would very much appreciate it if more experienced DJ`s could correct the below list or add in important steps which are missing::

1) Preview the incoming track in your headphones using the cue/mix features - you're checking if the incoming track works harmonically with the outgoing track and you are happy to commit to the mix
    2) Practice the mix in your headphones using cue / mix so you understand how it will sound over the top of the outgoing track when performing it live - this may inform you EQ settings for the incoming track. Take the opportunity to check your levels and make sure incoming track won't hit the red - trim if needed.
    3) Set your EQ`s on the incoming track appropriately (bass down mids and highs down a bit - adjusted based on your preview in step 2)
    3) When you hit your chosen mix out point start the incoming track with the fader still down and the channel cue and master cue on - beatmatch as needed. Aim to complete the beat match in a bar or two.
    4) Start to bring the fader up on the incoming track
    5) EQ work to give "space" for the incoming track to come in
    6) Incoming track becomes dominant (bass swap - more EQ work)
    7) Complete mix, fade out outgoing track

So - what have I missed?
    Last edited by scoob101; 10-06-2022 at 06:56 AM.