Although I am a DJ of more years than I dare to admit, so not exactly a 'beginner' in this sense, I have been considering trying my hand at karaoke - something where definitely WOULD be quite a novice.

I have done a couple of fill-in karaoke jobs over the years but never wanted to take this up as a full-time service ... until recently. Everything went well on both gigs.

One thing which concerns me is that I would be expected to perform a solo singing act or two myself, particularly at the beginning of a session, as I have heard done at a few karaoke gigs I have been to. This might sound weird, but I really don't want to sing. I have never sung anything in my life, nor would I want to. DJing is fine and I've made a decent enough career out of it, but there is no way I would wish to sing myself.

My questions are: Would I be expected to sing if I provided a karaoke gig? Could I get away with stating that I DON'T sing in an ad, etc.?

I am curious how many karaoke suppliers out there do not sing themselves. I would imagine that this is an absolute requirement, particularly in the UK.

Thanks for any views.