Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandpass vs Ported/Sealed Subwoofer

Post Bandpass vs Ported/Sealed Subwoofer

Granted there are many web references to this topic however not all of them are on the subject matter of DJing. Many are car audio related. Though the fundamentals are the same. What do you prefer to use and what type of music works best with either type? What would work better for an outdoor gig vs an indoor gig?

So I hope these are correct below.

Bandpass Box

Sealed (I believe)

Ported???
    Last edited by Evolved; 04-24-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Pair of Pioneer CDJ-2000 CD Players, Xone:92 Mixer. Pair of RCF-312A Loudspeakers and 1 RCF 4Pro 8003 18" Sub.

What matters is frequency response and actual maximum driver displacement limited output, not the cab topology. The former can be found on the manufacturer data sheets. If they have none that should remove them from consideration. The latter is a bit harder to come by, as you have to know the drivers used.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Thanks for posting this thread. I was thinking of starting a similar thread because i'm also curious about this subject.

... double post.
    Last edited by GaFFLe; 04-24-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    Raising the bar...
    http://www.channelliveproductions.com/
    Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    What matters is frequency response and actual maximum driver displacement limited output, not the cab topology. The former can be found on the manufacturer data sheets. If they have none that should remove them from consideration. The latter is a bit harder to come by, as you have to know the drivers used.
    From your design experience, have you had issues with the bandpass sound or enclosure reliability? The reason I ask is my experience hearing them has been with car audio, where I don't really care for the sound, as well as MI-level PA gear. (K-sub and some other model)

Bandpass Box

The above units looks similar to how the old Mackie SWA1801z were designed. It has a faceplate with screws around the periphery. 80% of the SWA1801z's I've ever heard exhibited some sort of boxy rattling or buzzing noise that only stopped once I pressed a knee up against the faceplate. I guess it's a result of the screws eventually coming loose. I'm just wondering if that's a solid design or should one stay away from the likes.
    Last edited by GaFFLe; 04-24-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Raising the bar...

Quote Originally Posted by GaFFLe View Post
    [FONT=Century Gothic]From your design experience, have you had issues with the bandpass sound or enclosure reliability?
    I haven't used a store bought cab since 1970. I haven't heard any BP cabs that impressed me. They're very difficult to get right, and tend to have a narrow peaked bandwidth.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

Gaffle said "double post" Do explain? is there another posting for this topic already?

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong. But from what I can understand in one aspect: a bandpass sub may be cheaper than one that is sealed - you may get more SPL output for the price of a bandpass yet it has limitations that the sealed ones does not. And perhaps better sound quality from one that is sealed. (Perhaps more accurate)
    Last edited by Evolved; 04-24-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Pair of Pioneer CDJ-2000 CD Players, Xone:92 Mixer. Pair of RCF-312A Loudspeakers and 1 RCF 4Pro 8003 18" Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
    Gaffle said "double post" Do explain? is there another posting for this topic already?
    No, I had a post failure and posted my question twice.
    Raising the bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Evolved View Post

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong. But from what I can understand in one aspect: a bandpass sub may be cheaper than one that is sealed - you may get more SPL output for the price of a bandpass yet it has limitations that the sealed ones does not. And perhaps better sound quality from one that is sealed. (Perhaps more accurate)
    As far as bandpass goes they are less accurate than vented, and sealed subs are never used in pro-sound.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    As far as bandpass goes they are less accurate than vented, and sealed subs are never used in pro-sound.
    And why is that?