Thread: Wireless speakers for gigs?

Wireless speakers for gigs?

Anyone using those?

Are they more practical to use than corded?
    Or battery powered?

Battery powered speakers are useful in situations where there is no local AC supply, but the signal transmission to the speakers should still be via cable. The most advanced and expensive wireless system available isn't as reliable as $30 in cable because the wireless envirionment is already very congested with all sorts of wireless devices. Compounding this is the fact that all these various consumer devices(security systems, venue lighting control, DMX lighting control, wireless phones and comms, bluetooth devices, professional wireless mics, wi-fi, etc) must all use the same tiny slice of RF bandwidth so the chances of you getting uninterrupted communications to wireless speakers in a venue during an event is practically zero.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I have been using a Behinger Battery unit and the jbl battery ones. They are very handy. The behringer has a built in wireless mic that just runs on batteries so its more of a complete solution. I have heard some complaints about the mic and it does feel pretty cheap but seems to work for simple announcements. I wouldn't expect much range or high fidelity out of it though. The Jbl boxes are nice as well but the user interface is a little confusing for first time users. Using a wireless mic with those ones is a bit more work as you will need a ENG kit that runs completely off batteries.
    They are both very handy though. I think for djs being able to drop a speaker on a stand and bluetooth to it with no wires is a major convenience. They are perfect for background music.

Yes. it would be funny of the DJ came out and asked everyone to turn off their phones so the speakers would work haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    Anyone using those?

Are they more practical to use than corded?
    Or battery powered?
    No and won't.

When I take gear out, it's under contract so it must work reliably. Same holds true for wireless mics really, must work. Early experience with wireless mics had dropouts with 2.4GHZ frequency band equipment. So, it was on to the high end line of gear. Antenna combiners, digital wireless systems, directional antenna's on 8' mast. Three frequency bands with wireless mic equipment are always in the truck, VHF, G3, J1 for my area. I treat it just like a sound reinforcement job with a performer on stage. Doing a wedding ceremony is a sound reinforcement job, with added playback music and cues.

To start the day with a wedding ceremony and have problems isn't something I want to do.

For battery power I use battery powered inverters.

Wireless systems I use are mics and uplights. Three available frequency bands for the mics, with a hand-held RF scanner for setup works out well. Wireless uplight problems can be resolved with proximity to transmitter and serve to be more of a simple nuisance than a disaster like system dropout during wedding ceremony.

As has been stated, the best wireless systems are not as reliable as a $30 cable.