Thread: slow to fast or fast to slow?

slow to fast or fast to slow?

hey newbie at djing and i produce both chillout and fast dance music, big range of bpm have 100-140 bpm

With such large range in bpm i have hard time figuring out how to order my set to keep the crowd dancing

whats better in general, start slow and progressively go up in bpm

or start fast and go slower ?...

any tips much appriciated

Too much of a range (or not enough, is it)

Start slow and work it up I would say. Maybe slot a super smooth song to finish a set with. But if your aim and style is not beatmatching, then it depends how you break it in between :schrug:

What genre's are you playing & are you beatmatching / scratching etc ..... OR are you just blending you're music like a radio station etc?
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by scopus View Post
    hey newbie at djing and i produce both chillout and fast dance music, big range of bpm have 100-140 bpm

With such large range in bpm i have hard time figuring out how to order my set to keep the crowd dancing

any tips much appriciated
    id say with a BPM range like that, i think it depends more on the dance appeal of the songs than the BPM
    you could do small sets within sets, where you go fast for a while, then slow it down, and build back up. or you could do one big climax from slow to fast.... who knows.

probably best to listen to other DJs who do your genres and get a sense for how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by scopus View Post

any tips much appreciated
    Your set structure depends upon the environment and setting. Are you doing clubs, private parties, public events, wedding receptions.

Generally the set builds to the crescendo then drops down, rinse and repeat. How long the sets are is again dependent upon the environment and crowd. For a wedding reception as an example with a mixed age group and wide variety of music being played, a set length of around 20 minutes works well. In a club or rave the set length will be twice that or longer.

Your style must fit the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    What genre's are you playing & are you beatmatching / scratching etc ..... OR are you just blending you're music like a radio station etc?
    chillout and trance,
    the trance section will be beatmatched for most part,no scratching

Quote Originally Posted by SWS Productions View Post
    Your set structure depends upon the environment and setting. Are you doing clubs, private parties, public events, wedding receptions.

Generally the set builds to the crescendo then drops down, rinse and repeat. How long the sets are is again dependent upon the environment and crowd. For a wedding reception as an example with a mixed age group and wide variety of music being played, a set length of around 20 minutes works well. In a club or rave the set length will be twice that or longer.

Your style must fit the environment.
    open air trance rave , all djs will be playing trance but me. 2 hour set, half chillout half trance.