Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should DJ's play drunk?

Should DJ's play drunk?

Hi

A question I find interesting to discuss: should DJ's drink alcohol while they are playing?

An argument for would be: you're more in the vibe of the people you are playing for

An argument against: the quality of your performance declines

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards, Matteo Kopriva

Great question! (Rep to you and welcome to DJF, Matteo Kopriva!)

While I'm not one to tell other DJs what is right and wrong, I will share my opinion. In my opinion, it is harder to do well with senses dulled by alcohol (or other substances). If a seasoned pro does it, then experience will likely address any lapses in timing and response time. Only those that are experts in the skills of the DJ may pick up that the DJ is "off".

For beginning DJs - who do not have a lot of experience - drinking (and other things) can be very detrimental to putting on a great performance. I'm not saying that it cannot be done; I am simply saying that it is a gamble.

That being said... it's awfully alluring to have drinks while performing. In my earlier years, I did... ahem... get distracted from time to time.

I hope that this helps.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

A Club owner once told me, it's like any other job. If you drink on the job, you will be terminated! A better question is, should a DJ be allowed to drink. Most Clubs I have worked at, I was allowed to drink, at least one drink or two. Most of the time I didn't drink. I got drunk off of the music.

I think you'll get different answers from djs for different kinds of events, eg:

Mobile DJ.. family events, corporate.. probably drinking isn't ok most of the time.
    Small club or lounge where you work for them.. probably depends on the place.
    Larger club where you are booked by a promoter, more likely than not it's fine if you're not impaired, in fact they might offer you one.
    Electronic Music Event.. the whole crowd's lit, they don't care what you do as long as you're able to play well. You will def be given a drink if you ask for one, if they don't offer it first.

Don't drink on the job. I've had the odd gig in bars where I was offered unlimited beer, only had the first one to loosen up at sound check, but never went beyond the one. Beyond that, I have that policy of no drinks anywhere near the mixer and gear for safety reasons. Only bottled water, or water in a closed container will do. The other reason being dehydration, spend 2 hours straight with me and you will sweat, guaranteed.

I had some beers and shots at private parties, one particular instance of my friends setting me up with a line of Vodka/Redbull shots. I didn't get drunk but I don't do energy drinks so I could not sleep after that. Don't do Redbull, kids

Watch Fatboy Slim rocking the vodka orange and the crowd, with some sort of moderation.

i think drinking in moderation is ok as long as u dont get messed up. i normally stick to a 3 or 4 drink max.

So, we've got it straight now. Don't drink when you're working.. except.. one drink is ok, maybe two. But don't drink!

Ask Sasha about puking all over your decks in front of a crowd

(although he was also on the "special beers" at the time) Hear the disaster - but note how he carries it on through.

Even famous DJs have their "moments".

https://youtu.be/inMjjTSnC5E?t=1240
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Back in the day, when I worked the club, I would take a shot or two during the night.

I'd say in a club, a drink or two in moderation is fine as long as you stay in control of your actions & abilities.

A mobile DJ would depend on the individual event. Weddings & other formal events zero..
    an informal event with your buddies is different etc.

Use common sense.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Matteo Kopriva View Post
    An argument for would be: you're more in the vibe of the people you are playing for
    At the club level I think that's actually an argument against drinking. I need to be completely aware of the room as a whole - not just what's in front of me on the floor. Who's not dancing? Who's wiggling their hips on the side? What can I throw at them to get them all in?

For me that means being sober so I don't just focus on the ladies in front. Others may not be so easily distracted - it's really a personal decision I guess.

All I know is when I was drinking on the job it was difficult for me to hold onto a gig. That's not an issue anymore.
    Last edited by b.ill; 08-09-2022 at 06:51 PM.