Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should DJ's play drunk?

Most of the events I work on go very late into the night.. The last time I played, it was at 3AM. And since I was helping to throw the party, I'd been working on it all day.... Well, before we left to the venue I made myself a nice strong french press coffee in a 20oz insulated bottle. It was still pretty hot at 3am, and all was well

Some should as some dj's don't do almost anything to the original track. Maybe a bit booze will fix that.

Hi ,I've not posted in a while but wanted to contribute to this thread. I think the biggest issue with alcohol at gigs is that it's associating it with something social which can amplify its attractiveness so it becomes part of the routine and that can lead to dependence. I'm not talking about one or two beers all night and having a limit but drinking much more than that and becoming heavily intoxicated. Aside from it risking a bad performance and damaging reputation it can very slowly result in drinking every day but not recognising there is a problem. I'm an alcoholic and was functioning for a long time but alcohol abuse is a slow process. For years I only drank beer but gradually I started needing the stronger stuff until I was downing whiskey from the bottle as soon as I woke up everyday. I couldn't tie my own shoelaces so playing keyboard and using my DJ software was out of the question. I've been having counselling from an addiction charity for the last few years and they paid for me to complete a medical detox in January. I've not touched alcohol since the day I went in almost six months ago and I feel like a new person. I'm starting to get things done again and will be setting up my midi controller soon. I can't wait to get some DnB blasting in my ears. I've been playing my synth a lot and the bonus from not drinking is I feel much more productive. I'll always be a chronic alcoholic so I can never drink again but I'm getting used to that and alcohol free beer is a saviour especially in hot weather. Being an alcoholic in recovery is infinitely better than being an alcoholic.

I despised alcohol when I was drinking because I was its slave but now I don't hate it and appreciate most people can enjoy it in moderation so I can be around people drinking and not be tempted but I notice drunk people much more now which makes me wonder what I must have looked like when I was steaming. It's not easy for people to recognise a dependency problem especially with alcohol that is everywhere but if you drink every day or need alcohol to ease stress or nerves before performing it's important to look at drinking habits overall. The biggest factor when deciding to drink alcohol at a DJ gig should be your health because pleasing the crowd and the bill payer pales in to insignificance compared to your health.

^^^ Good input that. You remind me of the Norman Cook story, he also got himself checked in, as he was running on liquid vodka courage during his gigs.

I would add, before covid I cut ties with some other DJs, because during gigs they would have nose powder trips to the toilet every 20 minutes or so, and becoming increasingly ''confident'' as the evening went on - I owe one of these guys 6 months worth of tinnitus, because he cranked the sound from normal to 11 without warning while I was standing next to a speaker. Seeing how careless these guys were, I'll give them a decade before the downfall.
    Shoot here -----------------> SoundCloud ________________________________ MixCloud________________ __________________YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie D Music View Post
    Hi ,I've not posted in a while but wanted to contribute to this thread. I think the biggest issue with alcohol at gigs is that it's associating it with something social which can amplify its attractiveness so it becomes part of the routine and that can lead to dependence.
    Congrats on getting clean and I hope you follow through with staying clean, which I realise is the real battle.

I never had addiction isssues, thank my lucky stars. But I used to party hard in my youth. It was very common in the 90s...
    The last few times temptation has come my way I have gone full throttle because money aint an issue these days and, I hanker my youthful days.

Be aware that you are not the same person you were! Your tolerence is no way near what it was. You will not be able to manage it like in the past, or keep up with other addicts.
    If you are lucky, you will end up either unconcious or robbed, and be a burden on your friends. It aint pretty, trust me.

So stay safe, enjoy life and health. Don't slip!
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie D Music View Post
    Hi ,I've not posted in a while but wanted to contribute to this thread. I think the biggest issue with alcohol at gigs is that it's associating it with something social which can amplify its attractiveness so it becomes part of the routine and that can lead to dependence. I'm not talking about one or two beers all night and having a limit but drinking much more than that and becoming heavily intoxicated. Aside from it risking a bad performance and damaging reputation it can very slowly result in drinking every day but not recognising there is a problem. I'm an alcoholic and was functioning for a long time but alcohol abuse is a slow process. For years I only drank beer but gradually I started needing the stronger stuff until I was downing whiskey from the bottle as soon as I woke up everyday. I couldn't tie my own shoelaces so playing keyboard and using my DJ software was out of the question. I've been having counselling from an addiction charity for the last few years and they paid for me to complete a medical detox in January. I've not touched alcohol since the day I went in almost six months ago and I feel like a new person. I'm starting to get things done again and will be setting up my midi controller soon. I can't wait to get some DnB blasting in my ears. I've been playing my synth a lot and the bonus from not drinking is I feel much more productive. I'll always be a chronic alcoholic so I can never drink again but I'm getting used to that and alcohol free beer is a saviour especially in hot weather. Being an alcoholic in recovery is infinitely better than being an alcoholic.

I despised alcohol when I was drinking because I was its slave but now I don't hate it and appreciate most people can enjoy it in moderation so I can be around people drinking and not be tempted but I notice drunk people much more now which makes me wonder what I must have looked like when I was steaming. It's not easy for people to recognise a dependency problem especially with alcohol that is everywhere but if you drink every day or need alcohol to ease stress or nerves before performing it's important to look at drinking habits overall. The biggest factor when deciding to drink alcohol at a DJ gig should be your health because pleasing the crowd and the bill payer pales in to insignificance compared to your health.
    bravo! keep up the good fight! sounds like you are quite aware of your past and present. here's to your future!

and NO, DJs should not play drunk.

I think moderation is the key, but playing drunk isn't professional, especially if they're paying you. Personally, I can't play drunk and I'm not trying to get drunk during a gig, but I will have a drink during the set along with water