Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should DJ's play drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Matteo Kopriva View Post

A question I find interesting to discuss: should DJ's drink alcohol while they are playing?
    If I have to choose an answer, then no. If something goes wrong being drunk or even tipsy makes it worse. Plenty of clubbers, including DJs, are alcoholics. It is definitely noticeable and unprofessional to get shit faced while getting paid. Not to mention, you are annoying when you're drunk, even if you don't recognize it. If you are established in your position a drink or 2 will be fine to steady the nerves or loosen up. A slight buzz can lead to trying things you might not normally do which can go good or bad, but is part of the fun of DJing. All that said, if you're DJing a frat party or similar, might as well. They'll never know the difference and like that you are hammered.
    Last edited by Manu; 08-12-2022 at 02:18 AM. Reason: off rules line removed, thank you.

It's simple, if you're drunk you can't do anything, including DJing. And you're going to look like this guy:

I've been joking around this entire thread but.. here's my one serious contribution...

In the scenes I have been involved with.. that is, mainly psytrance, which is pretty underground (though some events draw 10's of thousands of people), it's totally normal for dj's to have a beer or two before or during their sets, if you ask most DJ's in this genre.. those that drink at all, some don't.. but the majority who do enjoy a drink will tell you that a fresh beer at the start of their set is their usual ritual. I do that myself.. and sip away at it, make it last. Often someone will come offer me one during my set and if my first one is gone or just not fresh anymore I'll accept it...

This is totally normal and nobody thinks anything of it. And I think the same is true of any of the more underground genres, eg techno, trance, breaks, bass music, etc... any serious party scene, even if the parties are huge now. For example I sometimes go to big techno parties with world-known names.. they sometimes have drinks up on stage playing in front of thousands of people. And yea these are legal, commercial event spaces. Mainstream clubs I understand are different.. but that's just one corner of the DJ universe.

And really.. being honest.. sometimes DJ's are having much more than beer or cocktails. And it's not considered a great idea but people do it and as long as they play well nobody cares. If you play poorly that's when you'll get a bad name for being too wasted, regardless of whether it was drinking or anything else.

Interesting question for sure.

I used to be a pretty big drinker-- I can joke about it now because I've been sober for years. But one of the things I used to love to do when I was faded was mix. At any rate, I'd consistantly find that when I woke up the next day sober and listened back to my last night's work, that I'd invariably be pushing the BPM too fast. Nothing major, maybe just like 2-4 BPM.

Once I realized that, drinking during a gig became a no-go. In my case at least, what sounded great when faded didn't really translate to the rest of the time, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    Not to mention, you are annoying when you're drunk, even if you don't recognize it.
    Quoted for truth!
    Last edited by Manu; 08-15-2022 at 04:33 AM. Reason: posts merged

I have a drink or 2 to loosen up, but never more than that. It’s a job at the end of the day. And I always think to myself: do athletes drink when they want to perform at their best? But.. also guilty of drinking one too many at past gigs. It taught me a few lessons haha.
    Confidence, and hard work is the key to success in anything. Lost track of battle record
    http://www.soundcloud.com/djarmanicee

depends on the gig/person. sometimes the more i drink the better i play. other times i need to concentrate and the environment doesn't allow for it. use your judgement.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

I am old school if I am getting paid or volunteering professionally to DJ no booze plain and simple.
    " Mr. Nichols Just A Guy Who Plays Music"

Listen To Good Tunes..Play Good Tunes..Spin The Tunes They Wanna Hear

Quote Originally Posted by djknowledge View Post
    depends on the gig/person. sometimes the more i drink the better i play. other times i need to concentrate and the environment doesn't allow for it. use your judgement.
    it's a fact that alcohol impairs your judgement. "sometimes the more i drink the better i play", care to prove this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    it's a fact that alcohol impairs your judgement. "sometimes the more i drink the better i play", care to prove this?
    no matter what i say, your rebuttal will be like "yea whatever what do you know". but, since you asked, the many times i've dj'ed where people come up to me to tell me how good i played. that's my proof. not to say i didnt have a timing error or a hiccup at all throughout the night, but ive also been sober and made the same mistakes lol.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

My answer is, NEVER EVER!
    UNPROFESSIONAL and you get slow during your mixes!