Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dj ing with generator

Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    So a 2000 watt will comfortably push my system for about 5hrs or do I need to get a little overhead to be safe?
    Are you using 1 sub and top as your above post suggested or a pair or each? A pair will require something a bit bigger.

Honda 2200-Watt Remote Stop/Recoil Start Bluetooth Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Inverter Generator $1200
    The Champion & Ryobi gets higher ratings than the Honda?!
    Is that an actual Honda generator or just a Honda powered generator? Up here in Canada the only place you can buy an actual Honda generator is at a Honda dealership. Those things are typical Honda bullet proof, but the Honda powered generators are no better than anything else because the only Honda part on them is the engine and the generator and inverter and everything else is who knows what.
    Last edited by conanski; 08-09-2022 at 06:29 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Yes the Honda EU2200.

2 Tops and the one sub.

According to Wirecutter (NY Times review site, which is pretty trustworthy).. they looked at the Ryobi, Honda, and Dewalt. The Honda came out as their top pick, which is no surprise. They liked the Ryobi, it has similar features to the Honda but less power (1650W vs 1800W.. around 9% less), and weighed more (51lb vs 46lb.. around 11% more), also they noted that the Honda always started on the first pull and the others they tried didn't.

So, considering that the Ryobi is nearly half the price of the Honda.. it's not a bad option. If it dies you can buy a second one and still be at around the same price you would have paid for the Honda...... That said.. for me.. personally.. I would still consider paying the high price of Honda or slightly lesser price of Yamaha in order to have a generator that will give me the absolute least worry, because when I need a generator.. I need a generator.. and I don't want any problems with my generator. Also, honestly, the low price of it is great but it's suspiciously TOO low.. I wonder how well it will perform after a few hundred hours worth of use... But, if you're just using it for the occasional tailgater or blackout.. then again, maybe that's not a problem for you.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ble-generator/

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    According to Wirecutter (NY Times review site, which is pretty trustworthy).. they looked at the Ryobi, Honda, and Dewalt. The Honda came out as their top pick, which is no surprise. They liked the Ryobi, it has similar features to the Honda but less power (1650W vs 1800W.. around 9% less), and weighed more (51lb vs 46lb.. around 11% more), also they noted that the Honda always started on the first pull and the others they tried didn't.

So, considering that the Ryobi is nearly half the price of the Honda.. it's not a bad option. If it dies you can buy a second one and still be at around the same price you would have paid for the Honda...... That said.. for me.. personally.. I would still consider paying the high price of Honda or slightly lesser price of Yamaha in order to have a generator that will give me the absolute least worry, because when I need a generator.. I need a generator.. and I don't want any problems with my generator. Also, honestly, the low price of it is great but it's suspiciously TOO low.. I wonder how well it will perform after a few hundred hours worth of use... But, if you're just using it for the occasional tailgater or blackout.. then again, maybe that's not a problem for you.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ble-generator/
    So will that Ryboi be enough to run my setup
    Laptop
    DDJ 1000
    2 12in tops
    1 sub?

Laptop
    DDJ 1000
    2 12in tops
    1 sub?
    It really depends upon the efficiency of the gear you have and how hard you push it.
    If the amplifiers in your speakers are all Class-D type (the most efficient), and you don't push them into limiting.. then probably you will be ok.

Basically, if you find that you don't have enough power you always have the option to turn the volume down a bit. Your system will work, you may just find you can't crank it as loud as you want to.

I know people who throw outdoor parties with 2 QSC subs and 2 QSC 12 inch tops plus a 12 inch monitor.. and they use a Yamaha 2200 and it's no problem. It's pretty loud but they don't crank it to the max. So yea, it's enough power if you don't go nuts.

With the Ryobi you'll have about 10% less.

Laptop
    DDJ 1000
    2 12in tops
    1 sub?
    You can buy a power meter on amazon for about $18, plug your gear into it, crank to the volume you want, and you can see what the power demand is.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Honda EU2200. Better safe than sorry and it's always good to have one in case of emergencies!

Crazy thing is I couldn't find one video on YT with DJs using a generator?! It's summer time and I know DJ's are doing gigs where's theirs no power, whats the big secrete?! I mean you see everything else but that?!

Oh well, it should be here sometime next week...

Good deal. You wont go wrong with that. You'll be happy with the Honda & it will last many years & you can easily get it serviced as needed.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Ditto, congrats. Yea the Honda is more expensive.. yea the Ryobi would have worked.. but the Honda's just a great generator, and it's much quieter than the Ryobi.. 48dB vs 57dB, it's a huge difference.. the Ryobi is almost twice as loud. With the Honda even when you're standing right next to it, it's not very loud. If you have a 50ft cord then with the music on you wouldn't even know there's a generator.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 08-13-2022 at 10:34 PM.

I went with a Honda EB2800i. Reason is it's an open frame design, with fuel tank on top. No fuel pump, which is where fuel system problems will be. Tank capacity is a bit larger, runs cooler and the extra capacity will run a decent sized LED lighting system as well as the sound.

With generators more is better in terms of capacity. Yes, that costs more $. Have done garden weddings and ran fans and crock pots during the dinner time. Your customer will like that. As well it will handle a small fan for the stage during outdoor summer shows when it's hot.