Thread: Need urgent recommendations for buying 2 powerful speakers for wedding DJ

Need urgent recommendations for buying 2 powerful speakers for wedding DJ

Hi, been a mobile wedding DJ for 10 years now, and was thinking for some time about updating my main speakers, and had thought of doing so after the post covid wedding season ended, but last night one of my JBL Eon 15" packed up and got a few weddings this week and really need to decide what to buy now and get it as soon as possible.
    Ive been looking, but I dont have any shop close by to try anything, so Ill have to trust reviews, and your recommendations.
    I currently have 2 DXR 10s for my smaller venues, and even though I bought a EV EKS18SP I never use it as I find it to hard to move/lift on my own due to weight and especially its size, and usually using 2 JBL Eon 15" (sorry, cant remember the model number) for bigger venues with 110-130 guests, but even though I found them very powerful at the beginning, lately I was always forcing them too much until last night one finaly packed up. They were around 8 years old or so.

What I would really like is to be able to have more power, using only 2 "portable" speakers.
    I first thought about getting some more DXR, but going up to 15", but I would prefer to get something more powerful and was looking at DZR, SRX, etc, but the weight puts me off as well.
    Weight is important to me as Im 50 years old next year and my back always plays up during wedding season and I always set up on my own and in some venues I have to walk up steps, over gardens, etc.
    Top handle is even more important as Ive noticed that more expenisive speakers dont seem to have them like DZR15, ETX15, but the SRX15 do and I find them more than practical.

Been told that some of the other DJs in my area use HK Audio systems, but I see so many different models, and are they really that powerful to cover a big venue, or outdoor terrace with 150-200 people?

The music I play is typical wedding music, classic dance hits, and some chart music, so top quality is not as important as having more power, incl bass and mobility.
    Budget probably around 2000-3500€, but if its really worth it I can think about going higher.

Hope somebody can help me soon as I would like to order today or tomorrow

Thanks in advance!

Edit: been looking at the RCF HDM-45A, anybody heard these or compared them? Theyre lighter than the rest Ive been looking at
    Edit 2: Got another recomendation for EV Evolve 50m, but as I said before, will these be as powerful as the RCFs or any of the other mentioned 15"?
    Last edited by oALgo; 07-24-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Don't get 15 inch tops. Get a 15 inch sub to go with your DXRs, it'll sound MUCH better than a pair of 15 inch tops with no sub.

No 15" PA speaker on a stand will deliver the kind of lowend a dedicated sub does. I own DXR15's and they sound thin and weak next to a system with a single EKX18sp.. which I also own. You already have DXR10s which are a nice step up from any EON box in mi/high sound quality, so the obvious thing to do is to find a 15" sub you can handle. The Yamaha DXS15 would be the obvious choice but it's actually heavier than the EKX18sp and really not much smaller... though the orientation would make it a bit easier to carry.
    The EV EKX15sp is smaller and lighter than these two, I haven't heard it but it may just do the trick. The ETX15sp produces just as much output as the EKX18sp and goes lower but is quite a bit heavier. Over where you are RCF may be easier to get, maybe look at a SUB 705as or the new SUB 905as. That doesn't include systems like the Evolve50 though, in this case the bottom box is a more of a low-mid/bass module reproducing all the frequencies the stick can't reach, so these things really aren't in the same league as the others mentioned above.

p.s. An RCF HDM45 or ART945 or NX45 would be a hugh step up from what you have but as mentioned.. still won't produce the same results as a system with a dedicated sub.
    Last edited by conanski; 07-24-2022 at 09:31 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Don't get 15 inch tops. Get a 15 inch sub to go with your DXRs, it'll sound MUCH better than a pair of 15 inch tops with no sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    No 15" PA speaker on a stand will deliver the kind of lowend a dedicated sub does. I own DXR15's and they sound thin and weak next to a system with a single EKX18sp.. which I also own. You already have DXR10s which are a nice step up from any EON box in mi/high sound quality, so the obvious thing to do is to find a 15" sub you can handle. The Yamaha DXS15 would be the obvious choice but it's actually heavier than the EKX18sp and really not much smaller... though the orientation would make it a bit easier to carry.
    The EV EKX15sp is smaller and lighter than these two, I haven't heard it but it may just do the trick. The ETX15sp produces just as much output as the EKX18sp and goes lower but is quite a bit heavier. Over where you are RCF may be easier to get, maybe look at a SUB 705as or the new SUB 905as. That doesn't include systems like the Evolve50 though, in this case the bottom box is a more of a low-mid/bass module reproducing all the frequencies the stick can't reach, so these things really aren't in the same league as the others mentioned above.

p.s. An RCF HDM45 or ART945 or NX45 would be a hugh step up from what you have but as mentioned.. still won't produce the same results as a system with a dedicated sub.

Im going to take my dxr10s + EKX18SP tonight and depending on how it goes with loading it in the van and out again, Ill decide to go one way or another.

Thanks to both for your help!

You don't need different speakers, you need a 16 year old assistant.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    The EV EKX15sp is smaller and lighter than these two, I haven't heard it but it may just do the trick. The ETX15sp produces just as much output as the EKX18sp and goes lower but is quite a bit heavier.
    I've already steered three people toward the EKX15SP and at least two of them bought it and they're really happy.. actually someone came to me and was like "hey have you heard so-n-so's system it sounds great".. and I was like.. yea, that's what I told him to buy The EKX really is a good value, right in the sweet spot for a lot of people. The ETX is great if you want to maximize output for the size and don't care too much about cost.

But yea I have had my eye open for a used EKX15SP myself to pair with my ZXA1's for casual personal use (small parties with friends or that I work on for fun, that don't make any money or very little). Still holding out because really it's rare to see them for sale second hand at all, which isn't surprising.

But yea, agree with you on the RCF as well, they're great but IIRC not lightweight.