Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Vs Alto

Yamaha Vs Alto

Looking for speaker advice please.

After doing a few outdoor gigs recently, we realise there is a need to upgrade our speaker system. It's the low end which has been lacking a little 'oomph'! A good friend recommends purchasing a combo system like the Yamaha DXR12 mkII & DXS15 mkII. There is no doubt that these would serve us very well indeed and are just about in our budget. While looking at their spec., we came across another pair of speakers. A pair of Alto TS312s and TS315Ss. The spec looks really promising and would appear to be a good match to the Yamaha system.

The Alto system comes in at approximately half the cost of the Yamaha system. OK, I am sure somebody will tell me that the price alone should dictate what we do, but in the past we've found that some of the cheaper speakers really do perform as well, or very close to more expensive varieties. It's Alto which is the unknown here. Are they really *that* good?

Thoughts appreciated. Maybe somebody here has experience of both brands.

Thanks.

No the Altos are not as good.. the sub in particular is not very good, spend the $$ and get the Yamahas... you will not be disappointed.

What speakers do you have now?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    What speakers do you have now?
    I was afraid somebody would ask this!

Don't worry ... I went for the Yamahas. It didn't take long to work it out. 1., Yamaha - a class brand. 2. Not a bad review in sight! (I couldn't find one anyway.) 3. Most sellers were out of stock. I could go on.

It just didn't seem right that something at roughly half the price could possibly do the same job. I know these thing DO happen, but against a giant with a track record like Yamaha? Nah!

We found a supplier who had a pair of DXS15s and a pair of DXR12s and managed to get a decent discount in the process.

As for the speakers we have now, A pair of Evolution RZ12As and a pair of Evolution EL-SUB 15As. Considering they are budget speakers, they have really impressed me. They can really shake the floor, depending on the venue, etc. and they have provided good, reliable service for many months. They seem to have decent drivers in them but when we needed to shift more air, such as when playing outdoors or in a marquee, you can hear the flaws, particularly in the bass.

Looking forward to the arrival of the Yamahas now.

Thanks Conanski! Appreciated.

Never heard of those speakers but a quick web search shows what looks like generic Chinese speakers that are likely to be sold under multiple different names.

You're going to be shocked at what the Yamaha's can do.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Hey Paul. I am looking forward to being shocked. I've used big rigs in the past but the Evolution were perfect for getting back into this, bought during the pandemic.

The last system I used like this were EV 18" subs. The ones where the speaker was angled down to the floor and WOW did they pack a punch. I can't remember the model number. I do remember receiving a complaint from the venue where I last used them. Apparently, all the glasses and bottles behind the bar were rattling all night because of the extreme bass produced. I have to say, those Evolution speakers are great for smaller venues and outstanding value. Also sold under Kam too and, as you say, many other brands no doubt. I've been DJing for more years than I dare to admit and I've used all kinds of speakers over the years. I thought I'd hung up my headphones back in 2012 but, as they say, once a DJ ....

Looks like everything worked out for the best here Let us know how you like them when they arrive...

But yea basically Alto is a budget brand and tho a budget brand they seem to be pretty cool about trying to give you something that's a good value for the price.. if I was looking for something budget I would def consider them. But it's just not at all the same class of gear as Yamaha.. or EV, QSC, RCF and a bunch of others and you are going to get better sound, more output and probably longer life from your Yamahas than you would have from the Altos.

Thanks light-o-matic.

Will do. BUT ....

As I had half expected, the company I bought the Yamaha speakers from phoned today to say that they had just sold the last lot. Really? I know there is supposed to be a shortage in components for speakers and all kinds of other technologies these days, such that some brands are having trouble keeping up with demand. Whatever the reason was, they said they could get some more ordered and with us by September but couldn't 100% guarantee this. OK, these speakers have become like gold dust and many web based companies can't get them either. I knew it was too god to be true.

I expressed my disgust FIRMLY but remained polite throughout the conversation with them. They kindly sorted out an alternative RCF system which costs about £400 and let us have them at the same price, which was pretty good of them. They are apparently in stock and should be with us in a couple of days. These are a pair of ART 912-A and a pair of SUB 705-AS II.

I am happy to write a review, but obviously it won't be for the Yamaha speakers. I'll let you know more in due course after they have been out on the road a few times. I'm pretty sure RCF won't disappoint. I actually heard some FBT 10" tops this week which sounded really sweet. I believe these contain RCF drivers too.

RCF makes gear equal in quality to Yamaha, so you should find them quite nice.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Cheers Bill. Only two days to wait!

How'd it work out?