Thread: Interview: Fatboy Slim

Interview: Fatboy Slim

Norman Cook reflects on his career, and 2 years of covid lockdown .

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...lth-dj-classes

“It’s sort of life-affirming really, it’s good for me to see the people who’ve never touched a set of decks before going between two tracks and thinking: ‘Whoo!’ Sometimes I can get a bit blase about what I do for a job, and seeing that innocent joy about the way you can manipulate music: it’s exciting, it centres you, it gives you a nice warm feeling. So it’s joyful to see people who’ve been struggling going through that process.”
    And if you haven't seen that one before:

Last edited by Manu; 06-21-2022 at 03:45 AM.

I quite like Norman Cook.

Although I disliked his 2nd album with it's pop hits, I ended up seeing him at Glastonbury as there was nothing else interesting on and I was already in the dance tent.
    I finally "got" his style. You gotta leave all pretentions at the door and just have a good time. He's a great party DJ.
    I've seen him a few times since, and while technically he aint the best (record skips etc), it's always guaranteed good times.

Later digging through his productions I found he's a very handy producer. He's done old school breaks, mashups, house-bangers, electro etc.

Plus he seems like a nice bloke. Respect!
    Last edited by pete; 06-24-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I heard on the news that he was manning an ice cream shop in Brighton. I would have gone there if Brighton wasn't such a nightmare to go to, with £20/hour ($30) parking fees.

Yeah technically he's not quite up there, but his music selection is second to none, the dude knows how to pick the best tracks on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Yeah technically he's not quite up there, but his music selection is second to none, the dude knows how to pick the best tracks on the fly.
    I`m certainly in awe of him in terms of track selection. I`d love to see more of his sets where he`s actually on the decks live. I remember distinctly the sinking feeling watching a boiler room set of his shortly after i had started my DJ hobby and realising he wasn't actually operating the CDJ`s at all.

Depends on the gig, he' s still a vinyl DJ but did get himself more digital toys. I wouldn't blame him for that, he did the grind and is a true old school guy.