Thread: recommendations please. LED bar that looks nice and has good range

recommendations please. LED bar that looks nice and has good range

im looking for suggestions for light bars, but something that is nice to look at when its in direct view , and also something that is able to create a good spread of light to make a whole room glow in that color.
    i want to hang them up at the top of a wall where it meets the cieling, and put them all in a row all along the perimeter of a bar master and slave them to all do the same thing in sync.

i have a few american DJ LED mega bars, and i dont like this type of bar for this use, because it looks tacky when its in direct view, and also it has a very narrow angle in terms of how the light spreads out when its turned on, it really only illuminates things that it is pointing directly at
    I think they are better for uplighting, but that isnt a good idea in this venue as the walls have a lot of imperfections that I dont want to show up. I want these lights to make the room glow.

i think id prefer something that has a diffuser on it so that the whole bar looks a solid color if you catch my drift. but im looking for the most easy and economical option

would you have any recommendations for this? also it doesnt have to be a led bar, it could be a rope light or anything. im just looking for ideas

when i find something that works ill put it as a proposal to the venue to purchase it / them

here is my photoshop job, see the lights around the perimeter, this is what im getting at basically
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-17-2022 at 08:02 AM.

That type of room glow effect will require rope lighting I think and the neon glow type not the one where the diodes are visible, these aren't as powerful as bars but produce a much more uniform color wash.
    Backlighting on a stage is really just eye candy so it doesn't need to be super powerful and the more light sources there are the better, the trend these days seems to be with spot or beam lights. Front lighting of the performers is separate and generally should be a warm white... not colored, it should also be overhead at a 60deg angle if possible so as to not blind them. If doing this with LEDs the use of a small number of point source spots is much perferred to a distributed system of many sources like an LED bar because that generates a complex arrays of shadows that does not look natural.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    That type of room glow effect will require rope lighting I think and the neon glow type not the one where the diodes are visible, these aren't as powerful as bars but produce a much more uniform color wash.
    Backlighting on a stage is really just eye candy so it doesn't need to be super powerful and the more light sources there are the better, the trend these days seems to be with spot or beam lights. Front lighting of the performers is separate and generally should be a warm white... not colored, it should also be overhead at a 60deg angle if possible so as to not blind them. If doing this with LEDs the use of a small number of point source spots is much perferred to a distributed system of many sources like an LED bar because that generates a complex arrays of shadows that does not look natural.
    thankyou, thats a very detailed and very informative response. the 60 degree rule is very informative, i hadnt really thought of it.
    damn right about the front lighting being warm white. i couldnt agree more. So many venues go with RBG for this, it ruins photos.