Thread: a good sampler for live performance?

a good sampler for live performance?

could you recommend a decent but inexpensive and easy too use hardware sampler for live performance? something that you could load up multisampled instruments into and play live?
    or alternatively
    some tablet and DAW configuration that would be suitable for running VST instruments in a live situation ?

most of it is played live by the keyboardist, with no sequencing or automation BUT option of loops aswell would be good, for some automated work going forward

this is for a band i work with, (as a DJ) im trying to recommend ways for the keyboardist to have access to a broader range of sounds beyond the limitations of the stock keyboard sounds and by using multisampled instruments we could have more authentic "real" sounding instruments.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-01-2022 at 10:15 AM.

If the keyboardist runs MIDI, then having a MIDI-enabled laptop would be the way to go. From there, he or she can run Reason (DAW) that has just about everything needed.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    If the keyboardist runs MIDI, then having a MIDI-enabled laptop would be the way to go. From there, he or she can run Reason (DAW) that has just about everything needed.
    ok, yea thats probably the handiest way, but i guess he would also need an audio interface too anyways , so the price starts to add up no matter which way we go
    its a really tight stage, so placement of the laptop will be tricky but not impossible.
    I dont know if your run of the mill laptop would enough for live music in this way or if we need something powerful Im guessing most laptops would be ok for it now days , we can always apply reverb and effects on the mixer so as not to use the CPU
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-02-2022 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    ...but i guess he would also need an audio interface too anyways , so the price starts to add up no matter which way we go
    You don't need a heavy-hitting sound interface. A simple stereo USB sound interface with ASIO sound drivers is all you need. And if your interface doesn't have the drivers, you can always use ASIO4All.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    I dont know if your run of the mill laptop would enough for live music in this way or if we need something powerful Im guessing most laptops would be ok for it now days , we can always apply reverb and effects on the mixer so as not to use the CPU
    Most laptops made in the last 5 years should be enough - even for effects. So long as you're not pushing video, you should be fine.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

You don't need a heavy-hitting sound interface. A simple stereo USB sound interface with ASIO sound drivers is all you need. And if your interface doesn't have the drivers, you can always use ASIO4All.

Most laptops made in the last 5 years should be enough - even for effects. So long as you're not pushing video, you should be fine.
    I didnt think DAWs as such were made for live performance, i thought Ableton was, but i didnt know about the others.
    The keyboard player has Logic on his laptop, and I was suggesting to him to check out Reaper, as well as Reason because Reaper is the cheapest one I believe.

but can it be taken that any of these are suitable for live shows? or should one go for very specific DAWs i wonder..?

Unless you're willing to use the DAW's timing (which is hard live), it's likely just a way to select and play patches and trigger samples. As such, just about anything will do. If you have Logic, use that. I was just thinking that it'd be fun to use Reason because of the vast amount of instruments they give you.
    -KLH

Unless you're willing to use the DAW's timing (which is hard live), it's likely just a way to select and play patches and trigger samples. As such, just about anything will do. If you have Logic, use that. I was just thinking that it'd be fun to use Reason because of the vast amount of instruments they give you.
    well, I know some DAWs used to be a bit glitchy at times, when playing back sequences with occasional dropouts and such, that wouldnt necessarily bother you when in the studio but wouldnt be acceptable live.
    though I don't have enough experience with DAWS nowadays to know how much of a thing that is

Yea they will be playing live, that would be the intial use for it.
    but at the same time, I want to encourage them to use some automated stuff too, because its a 3 piece band (keyboard, percussionist and vocalist) and they are playing music that was made for a band which would normally have 7 members at minimum (salsa, cumbia, merengue music) (vocal, piano, bass, trumpets, trombones, various percussionists)
    so im thinking a little automation might give them more scope. for example, the keyboardist is currently doing the piano and bass section with no room for horns, unless he had a third hand. so if he could set a rhythm piano and bass sections up on the DAW then he can be free to play the horns section live.
    or if they can trigger an electronic drum loop, then they could introduce some urban music elements that would go beyond what they currently do.

like, im pretty sure he could probably do all of the automation in the keyboard, but then you have that "keyboard" sound. Id prefer to get them using multisampled instruments, or real sampled loops for a more authentic sound
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-06-2022 at 11:20 AM.