Thread: ADJ pocket scan, what should I upgrade to?

ADJ pocket scan, what should I upgrade to?

Lighting questions
    I currently have eight ADJ pocket scans, which I really like, but could be a bit brighter.
    There are some Martin Roboscan 812s for sale locally for a really good deal. After looking at the manual though I’m not sure it’s an upgrade. Those bad boys tip the scales at 23 lbs?! My pocket scans are only 10 lbs a piece.
    So other than going from a 100w to a 150w bulb, I get a few less colors and gobos ( not a deal breaker) but double the weight!
    I’m a weekend, mobile guy, weight and space need to be taken into consideration.
    Thoughts?

Get something with an LED source. My suggestion would be some small moving heads, I have some Blizzard Ice60 copies that are now widely available with a 90w source, these things have rotating gobos and motorized zoom so they are relatively well equipped and weigh about 7kg(15lbs). A 90w LED is actually a bit brighter than a 300w incandescent because the LED color temperature is a very cold white.
    What do you have for control? Pair these with a Blizzard ProKontrol MH and you would have a substantial lighting upgrade from a bunch of fixtures running sound active... if that's what you are doing.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Good advise, I’ll check those out.
    I actually have the ADJ auto mate, but I prefer to use Freestyler DMX. I’ve made my own scenes and I have even gone in on the fly when I needed a fixed spot light to light up the bride and groom, at the head of table, before.
    Works great.

OK you are in good shape then, I might be familiar with Freestyler too...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by conanski; 05-27-2022 at 09:16 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Dude! That’s a lot going on there ��

That is not too bad really.. it's the standard config I use for a roller skating event I do with 6 230w BSW moving heads and 20 hex par uplights. Most of the windows are the control elements for the moving heads, and the key to that is an accurate fixture file. I built this one myself with Fixture creator, it still needs a bit of work on the best settings for scrolling the color/gobo wheels but the majority of the available functions are there.
    The bottom left corner is the shape generator for the head movements, this is the best tool in the software IMO. In this case I have them doing a slow fig8 pattern with the heads distributed randomly around it.
    In the bottom right corner is the DMX400 plugin, this is controling the par uplighting and produces chases and patterns with all fixtures on one color or with random colors.
    Oh.. and I should mention all of these fixtures are being controlled wirelessly.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Very cool stuff!
    How are you doing yours wirelessly?
    I also happen to be doing mine wirelessly. I found a wireless art net tutorial online. And I’m using some ESP 3286 as receivers. And I’m just using a home Wi-Fi router connected to the laptop.
    It all works quite well actually.

All my pars have a wireless DMX reciever built-in and I have some XLR plug-in wireless recievers for the moving heads. I use an Enttec Open USB-DMX interface from the laptop connected directly to a Donner Wireless transmitter.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com