Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ld systems icoa 15 vs yamaha dbr 15

ld systems icoa 15 vs yamaha dbr 15

I've been renting speakers for my private parties and now I'm ready to go ahead and buy a set. I've narrowed it down to these two. The yamahas are lighter and have higher spl but the icoas have excellent reviews too. anyone owned or used either? These would be mainly used for bday parties, weddings etc. Usually about 50-125 people max

I'd go with Yamaha over Icoa just because I've never heard of Icoa.
    Icoa could be like Gemini or Phonic.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    I'd go with Yamaha over Icoa just because I've never heard of Icoa.
    Icoa could be like Gemini or Phonic.
    The icoas are made by ld systems. same people that make the Maui 5

I'd steer clear of the Icoa. They claim 300w output from 150w power consumption. You don't need to be Einstein to see a problem with that.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    I'd steer clear of the Icoa. They claim 300w output from 150w power consumption. You don't need to be Einstein to see a problem with that.

I think I'm going to wait on the yamahas to come back in stock. Sweetwater says it should be the beginning of next month. if im not mistaken I think the yamaha has a 7yr warranty

You should also consider 12s. 15s don't go low enough to run without subs, and they don't have very good mids. They're just larger and more expensive.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Are these the size and type of speakers you have been renting? Have you ever tried a sub/satellite system with a dedicated subwoofer?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Are these the size and type of speakers you have been renting? Have you ever tried a sub/satellite system with a dedicated subwoofer?
    I agree, if you play Electronic music (EDM), Country, Rap, Hip-Hop, or Dance music you need a sub.

About the only thing that sounds good without a subwoofer is Classic Rock, Accapella vocals, and Folk music.
    Even Polka music and Tejano will sound off since a tuba can hit some fairly low notes.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnblaze View Post
    I've been renting speakers for my private parties and now I'm ready to go ahead and buy a set. I've narrowed it down to these two. The yamahas are lighter and have higher spl but the icoas have excellent reviews too. anyone owned or used either? These would be mainly used for bday parties, weddings etc. Usually about 50-125 people max
    i cant say anything about the Icoa 15s, never used them

but i have used the yamaha dbr12" im very pleased with them, i play in a bar that has them, and to me they perform excellently at high volumes, I played to a crowd of 250 tonight and I did not need to go more than half way on the volume. I was using them with an 18" Icoa sub mind you so some credit has to go there, they wouldnt have the bass to cover that otherwise.

I just baught one DBR12 for myself now, and it sounds beautiful at low volumes in my living room, very good clarity. I used to own RCF tops which I think are famous for having excellent clarity, I havent been able to do a side by side comparison, but the yamahas are not leaving me wanting at all. One of the main attractions for me over the RCF is, RCA inputs, high pass and notch filters. It makes it so that i could go for a very simple setup if i wanted, like run a small houseparty off just one dbr12, and then for bigger events, go for a second, and then a sub according to my needs.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 05-21-2022 at 03:27 AM.

The rental place I use rents out mackie srm450. I just know I wouldn't be buying a sub immediately so I figured a 15 would be a little better.