Thread: cheap and easy (but decent) monitor speaker

cheap and easy (but decent) monitor speaker

Yello,

I am in need of a little (preferable wall mountable) passive 5-8"monitor speaker I can plug into the B port of my amp so looking for a couple brand suggestions please? I only have one volume control so if I want to adjust the levels on that speaker specifically would it be best to get an inline volume controller dial for it, or is there another way?

Ive only got a DDj-400 (atm) so can only make use of the single RCA out but will be upgrading in the future.

Something less than £80 for a single speaker. UK based as well.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Az
    Last edited by azk404; 05-16-2022 at 10:47 AM.

An in-line attenuator for a speaker is called an L-Pad.. and it can only reduce the volume, not increase it. It's also likely that your monitor speaker, being probably smaller than your "A" speakers, will be less sensitive and play more quietly to begin with, even before the L-Pad. But, if it's right by your head.. that may be fine....

However.. I think that if you are buying something.. you might want to just buy yourself a powered speaker rather than passive.

Thomann sells the M-Audio BX5 for £81, that's a powered speaker with its own volume control so you won't need to worry about the volume on your amp, it'll be totally independent. Just use an RCA Y adapter to connect it to one channel of your DDJ... I think that would be better than investing in anything passive.

But.. if you do want to go passive, I'd suggest just picking up something decent second-hand. Don't put a lot of money into it.

tbh that sounds ideal as I was only thinking of a passive as I know you shouldn't really plug a powered speaker into an amp and didn't know I could y-cord the RCA, does that have any effects to the sounds output? Cheers man

There's no prob splitting one RCA from the controller to two, and then running it to both your stereo amp and to your monitor. You won't hear any difference in the sound . The only downside is that since in this setup you are only splitting one channel, you'll only get that channel in your monitor.. but for this purpose it should work well.