Thread: KRK Rockit 5 G4 - DJ Setup

KRK Rockit 5 G4 - DJ Setup

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up a pair of G4s to use with my DJ controller (DDJ1000) and wondered if anyone could share any advice on how best to set them up.

I've tried tweaking the EQ, but oddly I can barely tell any difference in sound. Usually EQ tweaks are very noticeable. I thought perhaps I needed to save the settings but literally selecting different settings while a track is playing seems to do very little at all...

While the sound is very clean (they do sound fantastic), kick drums lack body (more like slapping a piece of paper with a stick than the bassy tone I'd expect). It is not on all tracks so therefore I suspect the issue may lie in a specific frequency range. Another way to describe it is like when you wear poorly fitting ear buds and the bass escapes and lacks that punch.

Volume is at 0db

I understand as studio monitors I'm not going to get pounding bass (and nor do I want it) but I am going to assume I am not the only one out there using these primarily for DJ use and I think I am surely doing something wrong.

I tried the setting that adds +2db to the low EQ. I don't see a way to make any further change. I use Sennheiser HD25 headphones and the sound profile is totally different, with the body of bass I would expect based on the EQ setting on the DDJ1000 mixer.

Appreciate any advice you can give. I tried to use the app and found it of no help at all!

I do have a sub I can hook up, indeed a quick test with this even on a very low setting made a big difference, but I want to be sure I am properly calibrating the Rockits first. If the solution is the sub, that's fine

Thanks and...go easy on the newbie

The Rokit 5 is only a small 5 inch bass speaker, it will need a sub. Calibrate your speakers with the sub and you'll get better results, and make sure to leave the EQ flat while you're doing that...
    Last edited by Manu; 05-06-2022 at 12:16 PM.

try setting up the dsp panel on the back of the speakers with the frequency shelves set to give it more bass.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by bazzo38 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I recently picked up a pair of G4s to use with my DJ controller (DDJ1000)
    What cables are you using to connect the speakers to the controller?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks for the replies!

The connection is with XLR cables into Master 1 on the controller

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    try setting up the dsp panel on the back of the speakers with the frequency shelves set to give it more bass.
    I’ve tried this but the options are all pre-set and are incredibly subtle - nothing like any EQ I’ve used previously, and the resulting sound isn’t terribly different

I have a feeling Pioneer speakers such as the VM50 may have been a better choice for this use, but at the same time the sound is so clean

I think the answer is ultimately that it’s a small driver and designed for studio use, so if I want more bass I need to use a sub!