Thread: Speaker set-up for new venue

Speaker set-up for new venue

Looking for some advice on what kind of speaker system to rent for a new event venue. The room is about 4400 sq ft, a big rectangle, main floor with mezzanine surrounding the entire space. Exposed pine ceiling, wood floor, 25 feet from floor to ceiling. Looking at about 250 people. Welcome any pointers. The mezzanine has glass partition wall. Thanks!

The mezzanine doesn't factor into it IMO you just have to concern yourself with the main floor, and for that the speakers used and how they are deployed will depend on the room layout for each event.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks for this, Paul. What I've found in testing the space with our house music system is that the glass partitions keep the sound from really getting to the mezzanine. The house music system is a streaming system, not designed for live music or a DJ system, so I'm trying to determine what will be appropriate when we have bands or a DJ. Thanks again!

What does the house system consist of? Does it use distributed in-ceiling/wall speakers? If so then yeah that is not suitable for DJs or live bands.
    I don't follow your description of the glass partitions, are you saying they separate the mazzanine from the main hall?

A typical wedding DJ/band sound system these days might be 12" or 15" mains over 18" subs... all self powered... typically deployed right in front of the band or DJ at the dance floor. When I'm doing larger or wide rooms I often put another set of 12" speakers on stands to the sides or deeper into the room to help with coverage for speeches and such, but these are usually run at a lower level or turned off once the dance starts as these are social events and people want to have conversations at the tables. If a customer wants direct speaker coverage in a separate space that is ususally accomplished with additional speakers deployed into that space on a separate feed, sometimes that can be done wirelessly other times it just takes some long cables.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com