Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: questions about getting a sub . EV vs Alto ? 700w vs 2000w ? 2x12" vs 1 x 18"?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    hmmm, thats strange, im wondering why the Electro-Voice ELX118P 18" Active Subwoofer is just "P"
    it seems to be an exception to the rule
    It's an old model the ELX-200 series is the current version. If you compare the amp modules you will see the ELX amp is very basic and doesn't have any of the DSP features all the newer boxes have.

actually reading the spects for it now it says its frequency response is as follows

Freq. Response (-3 dB) 42 Hz - 100 Hz2
    Freq. Range (-10 dB) 32 Hz - 130 Hz2
    Max. Measured SPL3 134 dB

should a bassbin not normally go as far as 200hz? i always thought that was roughly the crossover point
    No, a sub generally should not be used abouve 80-100hz. The ELX118p isn't bad sounding but the main complaint is it just doesn't get very loud.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    It's an old model the ELX-200 series is the current version. If you compare the amp modules you will see the ELX amp is very basic and doesn't have any of the DSP features all the newer boxes have.
    No, a sub generally should not be used abouve 80-100hz. The ELX118p isn't bad sounding but the main complaint is it just doesn't get very loud.
    what do i really need on the DSP?
    only thing i can see that im really missing without it is the phase reverse, but i believe i can buy a connector that will do that for me.

should a bassbin not normally go as far as 200hz?

No, a sub generally should not be used abouve 80-100hz.
    Was going to say this. Most people including myself will setup a cutoff frequency at around 85 Hz. Anything above will start messing with resonance frequencies from low mids. Try a 200 Hz cut and find out how messy/bloated it sounds....

should a bassbin not normally go as far as 200hz?
    Bass bin is what the low frequency part of the system was referred to before subwoofers were invented, roughly 30 years ago.
    im wondering why the Electro-Voice ELX118P 18" Active Subwoofer is just "P"
    The P stands for powered.
    what do i really need on the DSP?
    Everything that it offers.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

actually, just to add another sub to the mix here
    what are your thoughts on the Mackie Thump 18s compared to what we have already spoken about?

and does the rear firing design offer any benefits?

https://www.thomann.de/ie/mackie_thump_18s.htm

Rear firing, side firing, down firing, it doesn't matter, because the output of subs is omnidirectional. But the Mackie isn't rear firing.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

what are your thoughts on the Mackie Thump 18s compared to what we have already spoken about?

and does the rear firing design offer any benefits?

https://www.thomann.de/ie/mackie_thump_18s.htm
    I have one that I bought because it was inexpensive, has decent performance and I don't use it very often. It's not bad sounding but not the best either. However it's quite bulky and rather heavy, so it's not a a one man lift for most people.

what are your thoughts on the Mackie Thump 18s
    I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. That is a bandpass sub which often don't sound great but it's also a Mackie and they have terrible reliability these days, I had 4 thump boxes at one point and all of them failed inside a year of new. I replaced them with EV boxes and have had zero problems since.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. That is a bandpass sub which often don't sound great but it's also a Mackie and they have terrible reliability these days, I had 4 thump boxes at one point and all of them failed inside a year of new. I replaced them with EV boxes and have had zero problems since.
    wow ! good to know

ok dont wanna bore people with my questions but two other options have come up now
    how would you guys think the LD Systems ICOA SUB 18 A would stack up against something like the EV ELX200-18SP

i had the benefit of renting the LD last night, and what can i say, to my humble ears it was amazing! i thought i would need 2 of these, but one seems like enough.
    it says it does as low as 29hz, seems like it does go nice and low in fairness.
    downside is its 44kg but has very nice wheels.

the EV only says it goes to 47 hz, that seems very high to me, is it not? but its 29kg

specs below
    https://www.thomann.de/ie/ev_elx200_18sp.htm
    EV ELX200-18SP
    Bluetooth
    1200 W class D amplifier
    Max. SPL level: 132 dB
    Frequency range: 47 - 105 Hz
    Dimensions: 636 x 598 x 518 mm
    Weight: 29 kg

https://www.thomann.de/ie/ld_systems_icoa_sub_18_a.htm
    LD Systems ICOA SUB 18 A
    Power: 600 W RMS / 2400 W peak
    Max. SPL (sound pressure level): 133 dB
    Frequency response (-10 dB): 29 Hz (depending on the preset)
    Optimised bass reflex ports
    DynX DSP with 4 application presets (3 crossover frequencies, cardioid mode)
    Switchable signal polarity and adjustable delay line for up to 10 metres
    Dimensions (W x H x D): 626 x 672 x 637 mm
    Weight: 44.3 kg

i have already placed an order for the LD as of now, but i have a week to change my mind, while they get in stock levels so do you think i have made a good choice? or a mistake
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 05-07-2022 at 01:52 PM.