Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beatmatching question (not beginner related)

I'm the old guy around here. I started mixing vinyl back in the Disco days in the 1970s, when there was no beat counter to cover up. We did it all by ear. I remember back then thinking, one of these days, they are going to come up with something that will make mixing a lot easier. Well,l it took almost 40 years, but technology finally caught up to what I wanted all those years ago. Today I have a very popular youtube channel that gets millions of views. I use every technology available today to make flawless old school disco mixes. The only people that bitch about it are DJ's. But the people that subscribe, and keep coming back, are people that just want to hear good mixes. I already did it the hard way, and I don't have to prove anything to anybody. Do what you want. It's what comes out of the speakers that matters. I haven't done it the old fashion way in at least 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by laurentkm3 View Post

So my question now that I'm entertaining about getting back into the hustle................In this day and age with all the tools that DJ's have (syncing, being able to see the waveform to know where the drops come in, being able to cue up to certain areas of the track with a click of a button, etc.), does it really matter if someone just uses the "sync" option?
    IMO, if your track selection is on point and the crowd is pleased, it shouldn't matter what tools you're using and you should use whatever tools at your disposal to keep the party going.

We went out to hear Juan Atkins play the other night.. had never heard/seen him before. His beatmatching was awful and his mixing was all over the place. Worse than me on a really bad night, and my mixing's just decent on a good night. And sure, people noticed.. he lost the crowd over and over again. But they came back over and over again. What does this teach us? Maybe.. that you can be terrible at beatmatching and still become a legend. Or maybe, you can be terrible at beatmatching, but if you're a legend then nobody cares

Quote Originally Posted by laurentkm3 View Post
    Just wondering what the community here thinks of the tools we have that some may consider "cheating".
    no i dont think it matters.
    I used to use vinyl and yeah i remember the first time a mixer came out that had a beat counter on it. I think it was a vestax mixer in the mid 1990s and my first reaction was that this was as lame as hell. Kind of like painting by numbers.

but now i use the sync all the time, its there, its not going anywhere, the ship has sailed. theres no point in fighting it and creating arbitary obstacles for yourself.
    I never saw the point in covering up the BPM if its there its there...
    The only choice is to run with the technology and try to find ways to use it to your advantage (and i dont mean doing crazy mashups)
    but whatever way you can, for me I have moved onto other kinds of music than I used to do, , doing Latin now, and its much more dynamic in terms of changing tempos and so on ,also doing video and other things to keep it interesting.

I dont DJ electronic music out anymore, whenever i go back to an elctronic mix at home, i still like to use DVS just for the fun of mixing manually. The tracks are so long that you would feel a bit redundant at times without having to beatmatch. So I dont know if i was playing out, if i would go manual or not. Probably not.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-23-2022 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    I'm the old guy around here. I started mixing vinyl back in the Disco days in the 1970s, when there was no beat counter to cover up. We did it all by ear. I remember back then thinking, one of these days, they are going to come up with something that will make mixing a lot easier. Well,l it took almost 40 years, but technology finally caught up to what I wanted all those years ago. Today I have a very popular youtube channel that gets millions of views. I use every technology available today to make flawless old school disco mixes. The only people that bitch about it are DJ's. But the people that subscribe, and keep coming back, are people that just want to hear good mixes. I already did it the hard way, and I don't have to prove anything to anybody. Do what you want. It's what comes out of the speakers that matters. I haven't done it the old fashion way in at least 10 years.
    Hey Panotaker, what's your YouTube channel? I mix disco and house, and I would love to hear your mixes if you've been doing this since the 70's.