Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling DJ's living with Tinnitus

DDJT just posted a good article on preserving your hearing:

https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2022/0...their-hearing/
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Don't waste a second of your time and get high fidelity custom earplugs.

I bought mine many years ago and every time I DJed or went out dancing, I would wear them. They cost me about $160 and are worth 10 times that amount because it protected my hearing to this day many, many many years later.

Some people may think that $160 is a lot but just break it down..........People spend $XXXX amount on DJ gear that can break down on you, but won't spend $X on something that will protect your hearing/health.

Go to an ear doctor and get a custom pair. Mine are 15 db - https://drawpoo1970-blog.tumblr.com/...03009167048704. I had either 20 or 25 db once, but they blocked out too much sound which resulted in me turning the headphone up too loud.

Just for giggles, at the very beginning of one of my videos, you can see me opening my earplug box to put them on https://youtu.be/gcqibrrMRP8
    Last edited by laurentkm3; 03-29-2022 at 06:47 PM.
    Deep Soulful Underground Grooviness - www.youtube.com/laurentkm3

Quote Originally Posted by laurentkm3 View Post
    Don't waste a second of your time and get high fidelity custom earplugs.

I bought mine many years ago and every time I DJed or went out dancing, I would wear them. They cost me about $160 and are worth 10 times that amount because it protected my hearing to this day many, many many years later.

Some people may think that $160 is a lot but just break it down..........People spend $XXXX amount on DJ gear that can break down on you, but won't spend $X on something that will protect your hearing/health.

Go to an ear doctor and get a custom pair. Mine are 15 db - https://drawpoo1970-blog.tumblr.com/...03009167048704. I had either 20 or 25 db once, but they blocked out too much sound which resulted in me turning the headphone up too loud.

Just for giggles, at the very beginning of one of my videos, you can see me opening my earplug box to put them on https://youtu.be/gcqibrrMRP8
    Yeah I got musicians ear plugs 13 years ago, when I first got Tinnitus, and have been using them in all moderate to loud environments since. And yes, 15db filters seem to be the preferred choice for DJ's. Wearing these plugs has definitely preserved my hearing and stopped my T from getting much worse, but my T is still challenging. That's why I'm looking for inspiration from DJ's WHO HAVE TINNITUS, and haven't let the condition stop their careers/hobbies.

The three best ear protection systems concerning headphone use seem to be:

- Musicians ear plugs worn under DJ headphones - the advantage of this method is that you can do one ear on and one ear off while still protecting your ears.
    - Quality sound isolating headphones that you keep over both ears and mix on low volumes without using monitors
    - In ear monitors that stay in your ears and are able to be kept at very low volumes, due to excellent sound isolation.

I'm wondering of in ear monitors are the way to go for ear protection. I've heard that you can get the volume down to 40db's and lower when mixing, which sound perfect to me! Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by b.ill View Post
    Venue size really doesn't have much to do with it, and often the smaller ones are worse. I remember one small club I worked years ago with surfaces so live that if someone dropped anything on the floor it sounded like a gun going off. It was awful. I've done three nights this year in a 7000 square foot venue where I felt my ears were perfectly safe - a well damped interior with the sound system in front of me.

Last summer I was very fortunate to have landed a steady weekend gig in an outdoor venue - the best solution of all.

I no longer use booth monitors, and headphones infrequently. But I mix from a master clock, and all my tracks are prepped with hot cues, in and out cues, etc. So a different situation from yours.

I really don't have any further advice other than what you already know - if you want to protect your ears, pick your rooms carefully and watch your levels.
    Sounds like good advice man
    Last edited by Manu; 04-02-2022 at 11:39 AM. Reason: posts merged