Thread: LED's on rear of Yamaha DXR10's

LED's on rear of Yamaha DXR10's

Hi:
    On the rear panel of my Yamaha DXR10's there are 4 LED's,bottom light is green(power),next up is red(protection),next up is green(signal) and upper is red(limit).
    When I have the volume up a bit,the signal green light flashes with the louder parts,but when the volume is turned up from there,the signal light stays on continuously,so I was wondering how much more volume would make the limit (red)light flash and are the speakers 'happy' to be playing with green lights on steady and no more?
    There is also a white LED on the top front of each cab also that is supposed to get brighter as the volume increases,but I have them turned off.
    They are pretty bright now(front LED's),so are they supposed to change colour as the volumes increases,or do they just become a brighter white?
    Also,what is the difference between the red(protection) led and the red(Limit) led's?
    Should I have the front LED's turned on for visual high volume protection? Thanks,Huck50
    Last edited by Huck50; 02-16-2022 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    When I have the volume up a bit,the signal green light flashes with the louder parts,but when the volume is turned up from there,the signal light stays on continuously,so I was wondering how much more volume would make the limit (red)light flash and are the speakers 'happy' to be playing with green lights on steady and no more?
    Yes they are happy, and the answer to the other part is lots more. The signal light indicates roughly 1w of output.

There is also a white LED on the top front of each cab also that is supposed to get brighter as the volume increases,but I have them turned off. They are pretty bright now(front LED's),so are they supposed to change colour as the volumes increases,or do they just become a brighter white?
    They get even brighter when limiting is active... apparently. If you have never seen the red limit light on the rear panel activate you haven't pushed them very hard.

Also,what is the difference between the red(protection) led and the red(Limit) led's?
    Protection indicates an internal fault of some type, if it stays on the speaker won't be functional and will need to be serviced. It is also active when the speaker is first turned on while the amplifier stabilizes, this prevents turn on thumps that could damage drivers.
    Should I have the front LED's turned on for visual high volume protection? Thanks,Huck50
    It's a personal choice.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Yes they are happy, and the answer to the other part is lots more. The signal light indicates roughly 1w of output.

They get even brighter when limiting is active... apparently. If you have never seen the red limit light on the rear panel activate you haven't pushed them very hard.

Protection indicates an internal fault of some type, if it stays on the speaker won't be functional and will need to be serviced. It is also active when the speaker is first turned on while the amplifier stabilizes, this prevents turn on thumps that could damage drivers.
    It's a personal choice.
    Thanks for posting! I have never ever seen the red limit light on rear come on,but I have seen the green signal light stay on steady with fairly loud volume.
    I will try tonight and see if the front led becomes brighter with a volume increase.
    Any protection involved regarding protecting the tweeters?Thanks,H50
    Last edited by Huck50; 02-16-2022 at 10:18 AM.

I have never ever seen the red limit light on rear come on, but I have seen the green signal light stay on steady with fairly loud volume.
    Yeah that is normal, there is nothing to indicate how much more SPL is available until the limit light comes on where the limiters activate to prevent amp clipping. The limiters are quite good, you should not notice much if any degredation in sound quality when they are just engaging momentarally on peaks.

Any protection involved regarding protecting the tweeters?
    Everything necessary is built-in.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I tried for the first time tonight to try and make the limit lights on the front go brighter,that are supposed to show when the speaker is getting overloaded,but I could not get them to go any brighter,or whatever they are supposed to do.?! Maybe a 3 colour LED would be better(green,yellow,red(overload)...I dunno!
    I did some heavy listening for about 3 hours with the volume 'up there' pretty good.
    It was not obvious when they change intensity,so maybe I was not playing them loud enough to get them to 'kick in' to overload.....sounded pretty loud to me though! Huck50

You have them high passed with a sub correct? It may be difficult to push them into limiting with that config, it's easier to do when they are operating fullrange as bass consumes more amp power. But in either case they would be uncomfortably loud inside a typical home listening room at the threshold of limiting.

EV powered speakers have a better front led function, it works the same way as the rear panel and is only on when limiting is active.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    You have them high passed with a sub correct? It may be difficult to push them into limiting with that config, it's easier to do when they are operating fullrange as bass consumes more amp power. But in either case they would be uncomfortably loud inside a typical home listening room at the threshold of limiting.

EV powered speakers have a better front led function, it works the same way as the rear panel and is only on when limiting is active.
    Yeah...I forgot about having the tops high passsed with a sub,so white light on front may not light up at all.Thanks,H50
    Last edited by Huck50; 02-17-2022 at 06:08 AM.