Thread: How to interlink XDJ 700 and laptop

How to interlink XDJ 700 and laptop

hey guys,

I just ordered a Mac to use within my setup.

My question is, how to layout the setup so I can access RekordBox on the XDJ's?

Is it a case of, Ethernet from laptop to a switch, then splitting two ethernet cables, one to each deck??

Or do I use USB cable coming from the laptop to the USB B on the decks?

If you connect them with ethernet and then (with some settings) the decks can read files off your laptop as if it was another deck. So then you don't have to export to flash drives unless you want to. But in that scenario, you browse tracks on the deck like usual.. the laptop is just supplying the file to the deck and the deck is playing it.

If you want rekordbox on the laptop to actually be involved in playing the track, to show the tracks playing on the screen and to be able to browse tracks on the laptop.. and just have the XDJ as a controller.. then you need to have the paid version of rekordbox and, unless they added a feature while I was not looking.. you will also need to connect the USB cables.

I have only ever done the first setup, my friend does the second setup.. so take my info FWIW.

Thanks mate,

I think I need to do the second route then, can you please advise what version of paid rekordbox I need to allow the connection to the laptop/ decks?
    Last edited by Zeebedy; 01-13-2022 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Read info wrong

Just watched a YouTube video on setup, if I use my mixer to connect to the laptop for controlling, do I still need to connect the decks via USB too? Or is the mixer on its own ok?

Hey guys,

I have setup my two decks and laptop to a switch, but when I load rekordbox and try “link” on the players there is nothing happening?

Try pressing the "Rekordbox" button.
    Also you have got to have the deck numbers set on the decks.