Thread: Which Speakers?

Which Speakers?

Hi,

Just getting back into home djing after a very very long time. I’ve got a pair of pioneer plx500’s and a djm 350. However I don’t know whether to buy a pair of active monitors like Rokit 5s or a pair of passive speakers and an amp? I just want to mix and enjoy the music and like a heavy bass so am leaning towards the latter. If that’s the general recommendation can anyone suggest some decent budget passive speakers?

Thanks

Passive vs Active makes no difference so far as the amount of bass. If you want lots of bass you will want a subwoofer.

If I were in your shoes definitely I would go with powered monitors with a powered sub

+1 on going with active speakers and for buying a sub, powered is where the bang for the buck is these days. Also strongly suggest you demo the speakers if you can, get into a store and listen to a few different models with and without the matching sub.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thank you both for the advice. I will go down the active speaker route then and look to add a sub as well.

Thanks.

Yea agree with conanski, listen before you buy if you can.
    The Rockits are cool but they would not be my first choice for sound quality. But a pair of 5's with the matching s10 sub would not suck and the price is good.

The main claim to fame of the rockits is that they have a lot of bass (for a monitor), but you don't care about that because for real bass you will want a sub. Get the best sounding monitor you can afford based on how it sounds in mids and highs.. w/o worrying about how much bass it has.. get the sub for that. But obv everything costs money and monitors can really get expensive.. so shop around a bit.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 12-17-2021 at 07:22 PM.