Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a more refined sound from my Yamaha DXR10 powered,mainly top end.

Question Looking for a more refined sound from my Yamaha DXR10 powered,mainly top end.

Looking for more of a refined upper frequency sound than my Yamaha DXR10's.
    Upper frequency sounds very irritating,especially at higher volumes.
    What would be the next step up with the 10 inch woofer(already have a RCF sub)
    Thanks,H50

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    Upper frequency sounds very irritating,especially at higher volumes.
    That's usually in indication of clipping somewhere, if not in multiple points, in the signal chain. Keep the LEDs out of the red.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

What are you using for music sources? Is is MP3 or wav or something analog?
    It can be an eye opener to play something analog through the system once in a while.
    These DXR are brutally honest in the way they reproduce music.. something that can be a blessing or a curse, they will expose distortion or clipping in the signal chain or poor quality music files where other speakers will mask those things.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    What are you using for music sources? Is is MP3 or wav or something analog?
    It can be an eye opener to play something analog through the system once in a while.
    These DXR are brutally honest in the way they reproduce music.. something that can be a blessing or a curse, they will expose distortion or clipping in the signal chain or poor quality music files where other speakers will mask those things.
    Hi:
    I am using two players,one is a Copland CDA-822 CD player and the other is a Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray,alternating between both.
    Treble on Parasound P6 turned right off.Thanks,H50

If you want refined, buy HiFi speakers not PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    If you want refined, buy HiFi speakers not PA.
    I want to stick with PA speakers,so which ones would be a step up from the DXR10's?. Maybe some floor standers? Thanks,H50
    Last edited by Huck50; 12-09-2021 at 09:13 AM.

How much money ya got? Meyer Ultra X-40 for a PA speaker that sounds like a hifi speaker. But it'll cost ya.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    How much money ya got? Meyer Ultra X-40 for a PA speaker that sounds like a hifi speaker. But it'll cost ya.
    $4500U.S. for one Ultra X-40 speaker! I have a few bucks to spend but not that kinda Meyer bucks?!...now maybe if I won a lottery or something?.Thanks,H50

Treble on Parasound P6 turned right off.
    Say what? That seems a bit odd. What genres of music do you listen to?

DXRs are very smooth sounding PA speakers when they aren't being pushed to thier limits, and they're not terrible sounding when in limiting.. but that is by PA speaker standards where there is more emphasis on protection than anything else. Does this system ever leave the house? If not you may be better off with passive speakers and a good class AB power amp.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I want to stick with PA speakers, so which ones would be a step up from the DXR10's?. Maybe some floor standers? Thanks,H50
    That usually comes at a price, maybe have a look at HK audio, I've always been impressed by the Actor DX range. Yamaha is overall good value for what it is, but to me it is not very refined. Your Oppo deck may be sitting towards top shelf for quality, but your sound system is only as good as the weakest link.

As above, if this is a house system, you're much better off with Hifi or a good passive+amp combo.
    Last edited by Manu; 12-09-2021 at 11:14 AM.