Thread: Equipment choice 2 turntables, mixer, software combo

Equipment choice 2 turntables, mixer, software combo

Hello,

I have a Virtual DJ Pro software since about 20 years and I added an American Audio VMS4 controller since about 10 years. I was a professional dj performing in clubs from 1980 to 1996. I was spinning vinyls on 2 Technics SL -1200 MKii for the bulk of my carrier. I also spun vinyls on Technics SL-1100, SL-1500 and SL-1800 and also on Denon DP-30L turntables. I have over 600 club vinyls that haven't been used in over 10 years because I no longer had turntables. I want to restart using them. I want 2 turntables that can run physical vinyls (25% of the time) but that I can also use to control mp3s (75%) via a dj software. I do not perform any scratching, just cueing, looping and standard beat to beat mixing.

Question 1: I believe that normal rca connected turntables can run with a DJ software in I believe time-coded mode. Is this correct? Or do I need a connector that plugs on USB?
    Question 2: If I start from scratch and want to build a whole new dj set-up, what would be the best combo (mixer + 2 turntables) with a budget of 2500$CAD or 2000$USD ? On the mixer, I would like the capability to run with either rca and XLR output plugs, and mic capability (used 2% of the time, only in a couple of parties per year).

Thank you for your time.

DJPraz

Question 1:
    You can mix with turntables playing vinyl and using a DVS system to play timecode records that are linked via the system to a computer to playback your digital files.
    To do this you will need:
    Turntables
    A DVS system (i.e. the software and, if necessary, hardware).
    A mixer

The mixer can have the DVS hardware incorporated into it. This means you just connect the turntables to the phono in as usual and the USB from the mixer to the computer. Otherwise you can use any mixer, but you will need the specific DVS hardware soundcard that goes inbetween the turntables and mixer, with a USB connection to the computer.

Question 2:
    You can certainly do this second hand. Even brand new if you manage your expectations and budget. The best turntables are Technics, but they are very expensive new these days. Otherwise there is a Chinese company called Hanpin who produce a similar technology to Technics, as an OEM manufacturer. You can find these turntables under the brands of Audio Technica, Reloop and many others.
    As for mixers, the sky is the limit. Got for whatever is within your budget and requirements. Bear in mind you may prefer a mixer with Serato or Traktor hardware built in, to keep things simple.
    As for DVS, you already have Virtual DJ, so you are aware that works with any 4in-4out soundcard with phono inputs. Serato, Traktor and Rekordbox are the most popular these days. Its just down to personal preference.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

That's a great start Pete. Thank you for your answers. I am thinking of purchasing 2 x RP-7000 mkii turntables (that have high variable torque) because I don't need all the bells and whistles of an RP-8000 mkii. They seem to offer good money value. I would buy a Serato compatible DVS mixer of my liking with incorporated hardware and match this with Serato Pro software. How's that sound? Would that be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by DJPraz View Post
    That's a great start Pete. Thank you for your answers. I am thinking of purchasing 2 x RP-7000 mkii turntables (that have high variable torque) because I don't need all the bells and whistles of an RP-8000 mkii. They seem to offer good money value. I would buy a Serato compatible DVS mixer of my liking with incorporated hardware and match this with Serato Pro software. How's that sound? Would that be fine?
    That is exactly the choice I would have made.

Something like a Allen&Heath Xone 43C (for sound quality) or Mixars Quattro (bells and whistles) would get the job done.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix