Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy dmx contoller for spider lights?

Easy dmx contoller for spider lights?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the "lighting " department. I ordered some dj spider lights (2 units)
    That should be arriving this week. I'm debating weather to get them to run on "sound mode" or get
    A dmx controller. I also have a not-so-great scanner. I can hook up all 3 to a controller.
    If i get one, what would be a simple, controller for the lights?
    There is a place locally the has a chauvet obey 4 controller for sale.
    Would this be a good choice?
    Any advice would be great.
    Ps...i'm using the lights for halloween and mucking around the house later on.
    Fab

Can you provide a link to all the light fixtures?
    The Obey4 is designed to control simple RGBW fixtures that are all the same, so chances are high you need something like the Obey10.
    Last edited by conanski; 10-24-2021 at 07:46 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Conanski...i tried finding info on the scanner and couldn't find anything.
    The brand is Avalanche. It had an led light, with a few patterns and colors.
    It's a basic unit but has dmx in/out, master/slave and programs.

The spider lights are these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Automated-Acti...5122780&sr=8-3

You definitely need a controller with more channels then, the Obey10 or one of the many off brand versions that look similar would be the bare minumum.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Pro...182579&sr=8-90

If you want something that can do more advanced things with the scanner this controller has some neat movement features built in. I have the Blizzard Lighting version of this controller for use with moving heads and it does a very good job.
    https://www.thomannmusic.com/eurolit...ontrol_512.htm
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Conanski, I don't think I will be using the scanner i have with this setup. If i use it, it will work on Sound mode independently.
    So if i do use just the 2 spiders (daisy chained, one master, one slave), will the obey 10 be okay?
    I found an off-brand for a decent price locally, OR a real chauvet not too far from me.
    If so i guess i could have 4 lights hooked up?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    So if i do use just the 2 spiders (daisy chained, one master, one slave), will the obey 10 be okay?
    You can connect as many fixtures as you like but they won't be set to master/slave mode when connected to a controller. I suggest you also buy a DMX terminator, it dampens the electrical noise that is often generated when multiple fixtures are connected together which can cause the fixtures to misbehave.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Conanski....ok, so if i want them to run master/slave, it will work without a controller?
    If they can run master/slave and in "sound" mode, that would be a good start.
    Maybe eventually, i'll get more or rbgw lighting.
    Fab

Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    Conanski....ok, so if i want them to run master/slave, it will work without a controller?
    Yes that is how it is designed to work. With a controller you can often do a lot of different things that aren't possible with the built-in programs, but sometimes it's also not possible to access the built-in programs from the controller. Do you have a user manual for these? The built in programs will likely include lots of movement and flashing... if that is what you want all is good. But if you want specific colors with no flashing, sequential color changing or movements, speed control of movements or color changing... things that are more deliberate and planned... then you need a controller.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Conanski... yes i have the manual for it, not the more detailed, but i'll figure it all out. I managed to set it on
    Sound mode and worked well. There is an "auto" feature that goes through everything..colors, movements, strobes..everything. It seems to work well. I'm waiting on the dmx cables to come in. Once they do, i'll see if i can get them to sync to Sound or Auto. I'll see how it goes and then will see about the controller. I was watching videos on how to use a controller. It's still a little confusing, but wonder how do lighting people get all these lights to change and move so quickly? I remember back in my "clubing" days, how dozens of cool snanners would move so quickly between scenes and chasses.. it was mesmerizing!

It comes down to how sophistocated the controller is and how much work the person programming it puts into creating the show. Notice I didn't say operating there, that is because operating a controller is the easy part.. all the real work goes into configuring it and the light fixtures to communicate correctly and programming scenes, chases, and effects ahead of time.

The way DMX works is every fixture is given a unique address(usually) so that the controller can talk to each fixture separately, the fixtures are then all connected to a common communications bus which can be a wire or a wireless channel.. think of it as a street with all the houses connected to it by driveways. The controller puts command signals up on the bus where all the fixtures can see it, but only the fixture it is addrdessed to will respond. But even a lowend controller can generate enough commands simultaneously for all fixtures, and these signals travel down the communications bus instantly from our perspective so all fixtures esssentially respond at the same time.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com