Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parade Float

Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post
    Okay, Thanks again for more education.

I am thinking that 12" EV is where I am going to start. I don't think we can budget the ETZ-12 though. I am guessing the ZLX-12 would be too underpowered, but would ELX-12 work? I would have to get the Sub in the 2nd phase. The float is big enough that we could get a sub on there with no issue. I would probably go with the EKX-18.
    I can only speak for the ETX's, I'm very happy with them.

You might see if there is a Guitar Center store near you that might have some of the EV speakers in stock and listen to them. My ETX10's produce some decent bass by themselves, the ETX18 though adds a whole new dimension to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post
    Okay, Thanks again for more education.

I am thinking that 12" EV is where I am going to start. I don't think we can budget the ETZ-12 though. I am guessing the ZLX-12 would be too underpowered, but would ELX-12 work? I would have to get the Sub in the 2nd phase. The float is big enough that we could get a sub on there with no issue. I would probably go with the EKX-18.
    Well, the max output specs for each model are: 126dB for the ZLX, 130dB ETX, 132dB EKX, and 135dB ETX. So yea, big difference from lowest to highest model. 10dB higher is considered "Twice as Loud".. so that's the difference from the ZLX to the ETX.. twice as loud.

But yea I know that the EKX and ETX is out of your budget but if you can swing ELX200-12p's over either ELX or EKX18sp subs I think you would be pretty happy.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 11-04-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Excuse me, thats: 126dB for the ZLX, 130dB ELX, 132dB EKX, and 135dB ETX

You should watch GC and Sweetwater for financing deals, they've been offering 0% for 48 months off and on for awhile now. I found that GC wouldn't budge on the price with the promo financing, but Sweetwater would.

I have EKX12p's, EKX18sp's, and ZLX12p's that get used in various configurations. Two ZLX's with a single EKX18 is a nice small event system.. I have one of those at a 125 person wedding tonoght. I really like the EKX18sp's they get loud and produce some nice thump and rumble at a reasonable price. The ETX15sp is roughly the same size, it has more power on tap and goes a touch lower but it doesn't produce the same thump as the EKX18, my DJs and I all all agree if they had to pick between these two it would be the EKX18. The ZLX boxes are super light and compact but it's pretty easy to run them into the limiters with any kind of loud material. If I'm doing a band or a larger DJ event I put a pair of the EKX18sps with the EKX12ps, that system has done some fairly large events including some parade float work. An interesting feature of the EKX line that the ETX line doesn't have for whatever reason is a coolng on the amp module, at the end of a night the fans in my subs are usually found doing thier job but I have seen the ETX subs get into thermal limiting. It's a cuirious omission that makes the EKX line a bit more favorable to me.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I run both ZLX and ETX speakers and for your appliication the ZLX-12P or BT is all that is necessary to start. One will do what you need.

The ZLX-12P is $ 399 delivered and the ZLX-12BT is $ 449. The BT offers Blue Tooth operation.

Add an Audio Technica ATW-2120 hand held wireless forr $ 379 and you're good to go. BTW, both of the ZLX models offer both combo XLR/Quarter inch inputs and an 1/8" input for your phone.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Kind of late notice but GC has 15% off and 12 months 0% on the ZLX-12P. The 15% off ends today.

Thought I would update this.

I DJ'd a wedding last night. The bride wanted an outdoor ceremony, power was about 200 yards away. I had worked out the power, but didn't want to take part of the inside rig out there, and then be in a rush to get it back as guest filtered into the venue after the ceremony. I jumped on the ZLX-12P/BT(only one in stock locally) on the Black Friday 15% off, 48/0%. I ran the ZLX(cable connected), small mixer, wireless mic receiver, and charger for my Surface Pro off of my Jackery 200W battery pack. The ZLX produced more than enough sound for a group of 100 at the ceremony, for about an hour of runtime the Jackery went from 100% to 80%, the surface charger was the big consumer actually, I didn't need it, but had it just to make certain the Surface didn't do anything flaky.

Thanks @BillESC for the suggestion.
    Last edited by shoot summ; 12-05-2021 at 08:46 AM.

I'm late to the party but ONLY for a parade float..... I'd just rent a system & take it back after the parade. Let the rental people help set you up with a system they have in stock, ready to go. Personally, I wouldn't invest $2500 into a system to use one time or just once a year, even if you plan to do this every a year.

Just rent a system every year for $250 - $500 & call it a day. Maybe barter a little and for a discount, you'll get the store owner/managers kid on the float.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php