Thread: How to fast convert FLAC files from Traktor Pro to Pioneer CDJ set

How to fast convert FLAC files from Traktor Pro to Pioneer CDJ set

I am strongly advocating the FLAC file format which in my opinion is best file format for lossless audio.

The most common complaint that I get is that DJ:s don’t want to migrate to FLAC format because Pioneer CDJs do not support FLAC and they are unable to play their gigs.

There is a way to do file format conversions so fast that is a smooth part in DJ workflow. I am using Foobar2000 for doing this.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= link removed, please see rules /url]
    Last edited by Manu; 10-12-2021 at 01:43 PM. Reason: http://www.djforums.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_djf_rulesandguidelines

Quote Originally Posted by golem View Post
    I am strongly advocating the FLAC file format which in my opinion is best file format for lossless audio.

The most common complaint that I get is that DJ:s don’t want to migrate to FLAC format because Pioneer CDJs do not support FLAC and they are unable to play their gigs.

There is a way to do file format conversions so fast that is a smooth part in DJ workflow. I am using Foobar2000 for doing this.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= link removed /url]
    out of curiosity ,why would you not just use WAV if you want lossless?
    Last edited by Manu; 10-12-2021 at 05:38 AM.

I like to play CD in my CDJs, could not ever be bothered to transfer from lossless, to lossless. What a hassle.

Anyway, a bit of a pointless thread to explain someone uses this or that software to convert this or that format, there are loads of sound software editors out there, most commonly used being Audacity.

which in my opinion

I've always use Adobe Audition (previously known as Cool Edit Pro 2) to change formats and also for editing.
    Serato - serato.com/playlists/3initial VIEW
    HearThis - hearthis.at/3initial LISTEN
    LiteRECORDS - literecords.com PROMOTE

I don't understand what the problem is. You say you're using Traktor. I do a large portion of my night with edits, redrums, and remixes I've put together on Traktor Pro 2, which records in WAV. Are you converting your Traktor WAV files into FLAC and then trying to get them to play in a CDJ? Don't do that.. problem solved.

I totally feel ya on this.. newer CDJ's and XDJ's do play FLAC, but older ones don't. For example I still have my CDJ-900's which don't.. but I got XDJ-1000 mk2's which do... So if you want to be ready to play on any Pioneer setup, you can't use FLAC.

What I settled on is to convert everything to AIFF format.. which is basically like a WAV in that it's completely uncompressed (so takes the same amount of space as a WAV) but it has all the tagging capability of FLAC, so you don't lose that. And all the Pioneer decks can play it.

So I keep two libraries.. one contains ALL my music which includes everything I listen to etc which is all FLAC.. then I have another library just for DJing, which is much smaller.. and those tracks I use foobar2000 to convert to AIFF and to tag them the way I like before I bring them into rekordbox. Bit of a pain but now that I am in the groove with this system everything just works. As you prob know, you cannot move files around easily once you've put them in rekordbox.. the way I have it set up, the files I bring into rb (the AIFF's) stay put and I never move them. But I can reorganize my main library as much as I want...

(And.. it's been years since I used Traktor.. but last I used it.. it plays AIFF too).
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 10-15-2021 at 09:28 PM.

PS: I have been through several organizing systems with rb playlists as well and finally decided I just want to carry all my music on one flash drive and have multiple copies of that, I don't want to have different music on different drives. This means that of course I need bigger and bigger flash drives over time. But they have got to be FAT32! You cannot use EXFAT with Pioneer.

After trying some different ones over time I am currently settled on PNY 256GB Elite X Fit USB3.1 Gen 1, they are pretty nice speed not the fastest you can get but def very good and no problems with the decks I have used them on so far (CDJ-900, XDJ1000mk2, XDJ-RX, XDJ-RX2)...

Anyway, newer versions of Windows don't let you format FAT32 drives bigger than 32GB, so I use this:
    http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Again, no problems yet.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 10-15-2021 at 09:22 PM.